How is everyone doing?

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

Melody
Nuclear

Re: How is everyone doing?

Post by Melody » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:34 am

Quick question Miwako. I don't think you are, but if you are a union employee you can file a grievance. (My DH was a shop steward). The grievance amount and fine was almost more than the vacation check!

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:03 pm

Unfortunately I'm not a union employee. I just have to keep poking them! :lol:

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:56 pm

We are still doing fine, if going a little stir crazy. I'd walk the dog today, but it is snowing with a 45 MPH wind. I can't tell you how grateful I am that we aren't tanking financially because of all of this. We lost about 7% of our retirement savings, but took what was left out before it got too bad. The market is coming back now, but until we can sleep at night we have it parked somewhere nice and safe.

Not everyone in the family is doing so well. My DNiece shares an apartment with her friend about 15 miles from us and her folks. She just turned 21 with a job as a receptionist for a veterinarian business with 3 offices owned by a Vet and her husband. The Vet runs the offices and hires and fires the staff and the husband does the books and handles payroll and ordering, etc. They have multiple doctors working for them and many more techs and support staff. By all accounts, they seemed like a very successful business. Vet's offices are considered essential and are remaining open during the closures of most businesses, so DN has been working full time and covering extra hours for staff forced to remain home with children, etc. I don't know how much business DN's office is doing.

The Vet didn't place any safety rules on staff or on clients. The front office staff came up with some smart measures of their own, but nothing was shared with clients. I emailed DN to share the email my Vet sent all their clients where they changed their rules to collect the animals from cars in the lot, with no clients in the building at all, and no contact. My Vet put that policy in place on March 10. It seemed a little cautious at the time, but in hindsight was wise, because they are doing good business right now.

DN only got half a paycheck on payday. No warning. No explanation. When she asked the Vet about it, she thought it was a mistake, but after DN contacted the husband, he shared that they couldn't make full payroll and he thought it would be better for everyone to get half than for some to not get paid. His wife had no idea. For DN to be working everyday without being paid for half is almost worse than just being laid off and collecting unemployment. Which she can't do, because she isn't fired. And she can't really quit.

Worse news: DN's roommate works with her. The two girls are smart and have an emergency fund and none of the landlords can evict right now, but they are worried about if they will be paid back, if the office will close and what will happen then.

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:42 pm

That's terrible about your niece, Ruby. It sounds like her employer thought they were doing good splitting the pay like that, but you can't legally work people without paying them, and if she'd been furloughed, she would have gotten the furlough pay from the government, and could have started the process of filing for unemployment. Everything is a mess and no one knows what they're doing.

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 pm

miwako wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:42 pm
Everything is a mess and no one knows what they're doing.
True-dat!

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Sun May 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Update: I got all the vacation and furlough pay I can wring out of my employer. They dragged their feet, but eventually paid out. Now I'm waiting on unemployment. I get to do my second biweekly certification tomorrow, but if what happened to my friend is any indication, I might have to file all over again. He also had furlough pay, and that was too much money for him to make while getting unemployment, so the system kicked him off, and he didn't know until his second certification. I don't know why everyone was telling us we had to file before our last paycheck when they knew the system was set up this way.

I'm not worrying about money now though. My husband's pay increase for his new promotion went through, so we are now making the same as we were when I was working. I've taken a few knitting commissions, and whatever the government does is whatever they'll do. I have no control over their incompetence.

Also, as of today, my hair is purple. I figured that if I dyed it, my job would call me back sooner. :lol:

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Tue May 05, 2020 11:57 am

miwako wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:52 pm
Also, as of today, my hair is purple. I figured that if I dyed it, my job would call me back sooner.
Love it! Isn't that the way things go?
Good news about your DH's promotion pay. There are so many people struggling right now, so I'm glad you guys are ok.

Update on how we are doing:
I find that we are spending less, so I've been able to put a bit more money into savings. It feels good to have a little more security. It was a surprise because every time I go to Costco or the grocery store the bill seems enormous, but I'm only going once every few weeks, so it's not so bad. And I'm not going anywhere else.

However, I'm getting sooooo bored. I picked up my journal again after getting out of the habit when we moved. The only problem is that I have so little to say. I don't have the ILs to be pissed off at anymore. Although the NewILs have some drama and we talk to them almost every day, their drama is not ours like it was with the old ILs. NewSIL will talk about what's going on but neither she, nor anyone else in the family expects us to do anything. They don't have that entitlement and nasty resentment that the old ILs had. Whoops, I'm slipping into territory for the other forum. :lol:

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Post by WhyOhWhy » Tue May 05, 2020 5:15 pm

jigglypuff wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:23 am
I am feeling under the weather but it could be due to certain health issues I'm dealing with. We will see.

This is all wearing on us heavily. My mom is basically taking care of everyone. Doing everyone's groceries and sewing masks for the family.

I just hope this virus passes on sometime soon. It's driving me crazy!
Hey Jigglypuff, so sorry you're having a challenging time. It definitely is wearing on the heart and soul right now. Hang in there 🌼
I will not let them drag me down to their level again

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Post by WhyOhWhy » Tue May 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Ladies, I always love coming to this forum to see the support everyone graciously and generously gives to one another. It is sometimes what keeps me sane during some rather crazy times including this pandemic.

You all know my deal and why I don't say too much these days about it "publicly" and yet you are always there when I need your friendship. Thank you all again for that!

As for us we're hanging in there. It's harrowing, but like so many of you my husband is essential so our paychecks have not changed much. I had coincidentally done a big shopping trip before this all shook out including TP so by the time we got very low on TP (very recently) there finally is some appearing back on the shelves. I have been a proponent of having at least a small food storage rotation for many years, so when I heard of things going down I simply upped my hauls (not in a panic-buying way or hoarding way but simply ensuring I had about 4 of everything I already stock up on for example).

The kids and I are going a little stir crazy at home (right now my vehicle needs a new battery and won't be fixed until later on in the week) so we can't even take a ride (not that we could actually GO anywhere since most things are closed). We do manage to get outside every day and we take more walks around the neighborhood as well.

One positive benefit lately is that we don't hear a lot from the In-Laws because they don't want to have to listen to my husband discuss his challenging and essential job (that would require empathy). They seem to be avoiding updates from us which is fine by me.

I'll be so very happy when life gets a bit more back to normal. In the meantime, it's forums like this one that help keep me going. Luv you gals :D
I will not let them drag me down to their level again

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Thu May 07, 2020 12:25 am

Thanks Ruby! Even better news, my unemployment went through! I guess letting go was the thing to do because as soon as I stopped thinking about it, it came. Now I can save some of those $600 bonuses for when things reopen and I have to fix or replace everything I've had to ignore for months. I am so ready for a new mattress. I could hypothetically have one delivered with a trial period, but I don't want to play roulette with my back pain like that. I need to wait until I can test them in the store. Or maybe I can just buy a piece of plywood and a foam topper! :lol:

WhyOhWhy- I hear you on the car trouble. I hadn't driven for a couple weeks and when I did my car wouldn't start. Had to wait for my husband to get home and jump start it. I've been making a point of driving at least once a week, even though there's really nowhere to go. My husband asked me when I last replaced the battery. I told him I haven't! :lol: I've had this car for 6 years and it's 17 years old. I have no clue how old the battery is! :lol: