This is why you acknowledge a gift

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

This is why you acknowledge a gift

Post by WatchingMyBack » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:50 am

As many of you here know, I have a children's boutique webstore as a hobby business.

A client purchased a baby blanket and sweater set, had me gift wrap and ship to an employee of her's that lives in Idaho. My client is from NYC. I'm in upstate NY, about 5 hours from NYC.

The set was gift wrapped and shipped via USPS Priority mail on 7 Sept. The client called yesterday and wanted to know the status of the package because the recipient never acknowledged receiving it. She said it was unheard of that she wouldn't have gotten a "thank you" by now from this employee.

I checked the tracking and saw that the USPS had marked the package "Undeliverable as Addressed" (there was nothing wrong with the address) and that the package was scanned back into their system at 8:04 am 9 Sept. The tracking then shows it was "Picked-Up" in my town New York at 10:02 am 9 Sept. Really? How did they manage to get that package from Idaho to upstate New York in 2 HOURS?? Oh, and the return address on the package? Not my address, but the address of my client in NYC so the recipient could see who it was from.

I spent a few hours on the phone with the USPS yesterday and once I could get them to understand what their tracking was showing was physically impossible, I finally reached the city in Idaho postmaster to investigate.

This morning, the tracking magically shows the package is BACK in Idaho and "In-Transit". In-Transit to where, I don't really know. I'm hoping it is to the new mother.

My point is, had my client not been expecting an acknowledgement of the gift, she wouldn't have know it wasn't received (she had the tracking number,but didn't know how to use it.) If she hadn't called me, I would never have know the USPS had misdirected it. At least it appears we may have caught it in time that it wasn't lost forever (the gift was over $200, so it was a big concern that we find it).
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Re: This is why you acknowledge a gift

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:13 pm

I sent a Disney gift card to Dnephew when I found out he and his wife to be were going to honeymoon there. They were both students at a state university. DN never acknowledged it and I mentioned it to his mother and come to find out he never got it. There was someone working in the campus post office (not a postal employee) that stole mail regularly and was finally caught after several years of taking money and gift cards.

I had an awful thing happen with a bunch of work paperwork that went missing (including personal checks and cc receipts) that I'd mailed via USPS to my company's NY office from Texas. Also, several of my colleagues mailed the same things to NY on the same week and many of their envelopes went missing as well. We got nasty calls from the main office to write personal checks to cover the receipts until they were found. BS

Although the envelopes were just first class with no tracking, I talked to my local postmaster and when I explained the contents and the number of missing pieces, she filled out a report that asked each postal station that the envelopes passed through to look for a stray bag or bin all the way through to their destination.

Three days later, I called the NY office and lo and behold the envelopes-all of them-had magically appeared. I think employees at my company had set aside a bin of mail that came form our area in the storeroom and forgot. When their postmaster showed up they must have been really embarrassed because the woman on the line with me was very rude and upset. I then asked if she had contacted any of my colleagues to let them know it had been found (before they mailed personal checks for hundreds of dollars). She told me that was not my business. So I sent out a mass email and cc'ed her. :lol:

The post office, UPS and FedEx lose things. Things get stolen. Things get delivered to the wrong address and the recipient just keeps them. It happens more than we think, so when someone doesn't acknowledge they got a gift, it makes sense to check. If it embarrasses them because they neglected to thank you, that's their problem not yours.

Phred
Site Admin

Post by Phred » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:33 am

Oh, USPS. Ugh! I've lost count of the number of frustrations I've had over time with USPS. My favorite story is the time someone sent me a package from Ohio (to Virginia) and it took so long to deliver that by the time it arrived, I calculated that someone LITERALLY could have walked it to my house faster than the USPS delivered it. Talk about snail mail... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred
Site Admin

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 am

Gonna chime in here as UPS does take great pains to get things to where they are supposed to go (and notice how the US post office tried to rip off their name). My hubby busts his butt and other parts to make it happen. Just saying! Oh, AND they have TRACKING so please use it. I've laughed at the number of times I've "tracked" things only to find out they are AT MY FRONT DOOR. Little stupid public service announcement! Thank you my friends!

JeanLouiseFinch
Fuming

Post by JeanLouiseFinch » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:40 pm

After the US Post Office misdirected 6 packages and failed to deliver 4-5 packages (left them at our city's main post office but sent me no notice), to my very easy address (I actually live on Main Street in a relatively small but urban area) Amazon will no longer use the Post Office to deliver to my address. I did some complaining and it turns out that our little area has no regular mail carrier. If someone at the Main Post Office is done with his or her route early, they take the mail and deliver to our area. As a result, our mail is often delivered several days to a week later than other areas in the same town. Also, the Post Office seems to have hired several illiterate postal carriers because they often deliver to neighbors who have the same address number, but live on a different street. This is a fairly urban area so there is really no excuse for this. Sometimes I get items for other people whose addresses and names bear no relation to our name, also from the post office. Once when I called the Main Post Office at 3:00 pm on a Friday, the cleaning lady answered the phone because everyone else had left!

blue iris
Fuming

Post by blue iris » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:39 pm

Oh, good grief! I just had a similar problem with UPS. I ordered a very large, heavy, expensive baby stroller for my daughter's baby on the way, since Amazon had a better deal than the baby store. I watched it through tracking, to see when it would arrive. Stayed home with my front door open all afternoon. Tracking showed it as being delivered, but it wasn't here! I knew it couldn't have been delivered and stolen, since I was keeping watch.

Dh and I decided to drive around our subdivision after I recalled getting mail and even the census taker at our house, looking for the same house number but different street. Sure enough, we found it on the next block, even though that house has a brick pillar with an address plaque AT THE CURB spelling out the street name! Both street names start with a T, so maybe the UPS guy is barely literate. The homeowners didn't answer our knocking, but we found a neighbor and showed her our package with the address and my drivers license, so hopefully the police don't come looking for us. That neighbor said she constantly gets packages for our next door neighbor!

And you can believe I took it up with a supervisor at UPS and ripped her a new one, so she could do the same with their driver.

blue iris
Fuming

Post by blue iris » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Well, I'm back here again. Three weeks ago I mailed a card with a gift card inside, for niece and her DH's first wedding anniversary. They live on the East coast, near her parents and brother, SIL, kids. All we have heard since is crickets. Now, I know they have a baby and both she and hubby work full time, but a simple text, email, or Messenger acknowledgement would be fine, and they know I'm on Facebook. I don't have an actual cell phone number for her, but her parents, brother, and SIL all know how to reach us.

Frustrating! I hope the gift card arrived ok. Smh