Is anyone else involved in VW Dieselgate?

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Is anyone else involved in VW Dieselgate?

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:11 pm

DH had a Toyota Prius, brand new when the whole Toyota debacle hit the news. We kept it and eventually got a good trade-in value for it. We learned the lesson to not act rashly and sell a car for a loss right away. We never had a moment's trouble with it and it ended up being one of the best cars we've owned.

A few years later, after much research and careful attention to being green I traded my old car for a VW Jetta TDI. Ironic, huh? Suddenly after driving his Prius for 5 years, DH said he couldn't drive it anymore because of back problems and took my Jetta! He put a personalized license plate on it. We walked out of the reg office and I stopped and looked at him with my mouth open. I helped him do it without even realizing what that meant. A few years later, we traded in the Prius on a Passat TDI and loved it even more.

:lol: :lol: Yep, we are a 2 TDI family and we've decided to sell them both back to VW. I will get a little over 100% of what I paid for the 18 mo old Passat and DH will get about 80% of the original purchase price of the 6 yo Jetta.

We put so little mileage on cars that I'm thinking of leasing something cheap as a back up vehicle and pooling all the money towards a luxury car that we would drive the great majority of the time. DH of course wants that car to be "his." I'm really trying to prepare him for it being car #1 and the lease car being car #2. I will drive whichever one I choose when I go out alone. Now that we are retired and he usually drives when we are together, it should work. He does not share well, but he is trying to imagine me not having to ask which vehicle I may drive. Otherwise we will split the money and buy two inexpensive cars. It will be a huge incentive for him to start sharing or a fools paradise of my own making. :lol:

I'm sure whichever cars we choose will probably be involved is some hugely notorious recall

If you have a TDI, what are you going to do? I almost kept the Passat, but it seems to make more sense to let it go. Have you been to the portal to make a claim?

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Re: Is anyone else involved in VW Dieselgate?

Post by WatchingMyBack » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:55 pm

My YDS had a 2012 Passat and is taking the settlement. He will end up getting MORE than he actually paid for the car when he bought it new in 2012. I know it makes him very sad, though. It was a great car and he really liked it. The timing was good because he's moved to San Francisco and doesn't need a car where he is living to commute to work. My ODS is taking care of the Settlement details and getting the car back to VW for him. He's been complaining that YDS is dragging his feet letting it go, but I understand that it is hard to.

DH and I told him he'd better put the settlement money into a savings account that he doesn't touch until he's ready to buy another car. He spends a fortune on rent in SF and I don't want him to piddle away his "car" money.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:00 am

WatchingMyBack wrote:DH and I told him he'd better put the settlement money into a savings account that he doesn't touch until he's ready to buy another car. He spends a fortune on rent in SF and I don't want him to piddle away his "car" money.
Very wise, because what feels like a windfall can quickly get blown away.

Hopefully they have uploaded all the paperwork necessary, like the car's registration and title and his ID and so on. We went to the Settlement Portal in July and got our offers, but we didn't know until last week that we weren't finished, and uploaded what they needed.

Within 10 days after Oct 18, the documents will be accepted or presented for editing and VW will begin making firm appointments at the dealerships.

I feel like I should be really excited to get two new cars, but instead, I dread the whole car sales process. :? Even when I feel like I made a good deal at the time, later, I always feel ripped off in some way.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:36 pm

That's ashame. Good for you getting vehicles that are alternatives to gas. (I've had a hybrid for 9 years and so far so good). I'm sorry its been a pain. My daughter bought her first "new" (certified used) car - a manual transmission jetta that she loves. But it is a traditional gas car.

I hope everything works out for the best for you both.

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks Melody, it has been an adventure. The funniest thing is seeing DH be so excited to pick out a new car. He's like a kid in a candy store studying all the makes and models and reading about each detail. He's hesitant to actually test drive anything yet, though, because the deal hasn't been formally approved.

I hope I can talk him into it soon or we will need Uber to get home after we drop off our cars! :lol:

IrishLass
Fuming

Post by IrishLass » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:32 pm

Personally DH and I are a "Honda" family. We have an 06 Saturn Vue that just sits in our garage. (It was the last year Honda drive trains were put in a GM product for Honda's access to On Star.). I suggest that maybe you put yds's money into a local credit union he doesn't have access to until he comes to visit to buy a new vehicle. That way he has that money for sure. My daily driving car is an 07 Honda Ridgeline. It has over 100k on engine now, but it was my Dad's truck and it is in brand new condition so in the next 5 years I might sell Saturn for another Honda Ridgeline.

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks, Irishlass. My two top contenders for second car is the Honda Civic or another VW (gas) Jetta. I'm considering the Jetta because I loved the old one and I can get the lowest-priced model cheaper than a used car, which DH won't even consider. If the VW dealer is as cooperative as I hope, we'll pay cash for it and still be able to make a big down payment on the luxury car. The VW dealers are not even allowed to discuss deals on new cars with the settlement customers until after the diesel cars are returned.

If all that goes south, then the Civic is the way I'll go. Nice, dependable and pretty little car. I would consider a Toyota, but I am not at all happy with the design changes they have made in the last few years. We would have certainly bought a Lexus as our main car, but we just don't care at all for the way the new ones look. A hungry manta ray comes to mind.[No offense anybody, it's just my own personal taste.]

We finally test drove some cars. We decided against the Audi because when we were honest, it was too much like driving the Passat, but for twice the price. DH, who has always had champagne taste on our chardonnay budget, really loved the Mercedes dealership. They probably scanned us as we entered the showroom to check out our income and credit score. Did I feel a little tingle on the back of my neck? Since we were looking at their two cheapest models, they didn't kick us out, :lol: but they didn't offer us coffee either, and they surely didn't offer the quarter million dollar cars for a test drive!