Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

electoquill86
Fuming

Blood is thicker than water?

Post by electoquill86 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:20 am

Hi all
How is everybody doing?
Has anyone's in laws actually used the phrase "blood is thicker than water" to justify trying to turn your spouse against you?
Did you know that it isn't the full saying? And that it's supposed to mean completely the opposite?

The full saying is "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the waters of the womb"
Basicly relationships forged by choice and mutual agreement ( such as marriage)should come before relationships forced by blood ties.

I had a lot of fun explaining this one to mil after she threw that phrase at dh when he wouldn't drop everything to run to do mommy's bidding after making other plans with me.

electoquill86
Fuming

Re: Blood is thicker than water?

Post by electoquill86 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:30 am

Whoops sorry this was supposed to be on the in laws forum. That's what I get for posting on my phone lol

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:36 am

Good to know thanks for sharing :). My DH was adopted, so maybe I'll use the uneducated cliche regarding DH and my kids against the IL's, lol.

Bella07
Fuming

Post by Bella07 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:28 pm

Ironically, SFIL said that to H once, in regards to me. Pretty funny since SFIL and H are not blood related either. Guess MILs marriage to SFIL means more or something.

The saying has never carried much weight with me anyway.

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:28 pm

I knew it was from the bible but I had no idea about the whole verse!

Of course the ESIBs said blood was thicker than water all the time, insinuating that adopted DH and I were no real family to them if we didn't agree with them no matter how ridiculous their idea was, or if we didn't go along with whatever they wanted, no matter the cost.

It was such a double standard. When we did what they wanted, sacrifice or not, they dismissed it because they thought we did it because we were supposed to do it, because we were faaaamily. We got no thanks or gratitude, we were simply living up to their idea of our obligations to them.

The first time they were asked directly to do something for us, and they finally did something that would benefit us as much as themselves, they demanded to be paid for their time. They felt no obligation to help us for free, not even to repay past favor$$$. When DH refused to pay them for their one favor, he was no longer family at all, he was a Mother-F*cker, a lying cheater.

Thank goodness we share no blood of the covenant OR water of the womb with them. Either way, it's a tainted pool.
Last edited by rubycrownedkinglet on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:41 am

Nice to hear from you, Electoquill!

Yes, :evil: BIL used it MANY times when my DC were young (and the ILs were actively trying to get DH to divorce me).

His belief, which he had no problem saying, was that "wives" are "replaceable". ONLY the blood family matter (parents, siblings and children).

When I asked if he felt that MIL was "replaceable" because she was a "wife", he looked at me like I had two heads. Of course NOT. She was a BLOOD relative. When I explained that my DC were MY blood relatives in that same sense, he said the father's "blood" takes precedence over the mother.

What he was really saying is that in his Universe, only his blood relatives matter in the world.

The hair-brained logic of that twat still boggles my mind.

Of course, all of that went out the window because of his narcissism and greed. Now the only "blood" relatives that speak to him are his own two spawn (since the PIL have passed away). I often wonder if they will always speak to him, or, now that they're off in college and out from under his thumb, will they realize how controlling and manipulative he has been? Most likely he's made sure they don't have the financial resources at their disposal to be independent of him. I can see SpawnNiece being exactly as my MIL was her DF and will ALWAYS put her DF ahead of anyone and everyone so that she remains in his good graces. DH's family has perfected the withdrawal of affection and cold shoulder at the drop of a hat. Half of MIL's family was "dead to her" many years before their actual demise.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”

mamarama
Nuclear

Post by mamarama » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:31 pm

That's so interesting. Just goes to show that even the Devil can manipulate scripture and use it to his purpose.

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:03 pm

WatchingMyBack wrote:What he was really saying is that in his Universe, only his blood relatives matter in the world.
The hair-brained logic of that twat still boggles my mind.
For future reference of newbies on this board:

That kind of logic is an important "tell."
True Antisocial Personality Disordered people, anywhere on the scale, have the flaw in their logic that only their own personal point of reference exists. They think others are just deluded in their thinking. It makes it easier to spot them if you know what to look for.

All of my ILs and one of my FOO sibs have displayed this flaw. Even my FIL, who was a bit slow and low on the scale, had the firmly held belief that his religion was the only real religion. His job was the hardest job that anyone could ever have. His favorite actor was the most talented actor. Anyone who had other preferences or views simply wasn't enlightened enough to understand the truth.