Ideas please

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Ideas please

Post by Hiddenjem » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:24 pm

We are vegan and dh's workplace gives each employee a free Honeybaked ham or turkey and apple pie.

In the past, we gave the pie and turkey to daughter's boyfriend's family as a gesture. They can afford their own dinner and are very financially blessed. Plus, everyone who has read my posts knows that they have been hurtful toward our daughter.

It doesn't feel right to give it them this year.

We want the food to go to people who would be grateful for the meal with authentic limited resources.

What would you do?

Options I have thought of...

1. A food bank

2. For a organization that hosts free thanksgiving dinners

3. A homeless shelter

Or........

Consider inviting our wonderful single recently retired "adopted" grandmother/ aunt to daughter former neighbor from our home in another state over to dinner and send the leftovers home with her if she can come

She has relatives 20 minutes minutes from here for a place to stay. She has allergies to rabbits and we have one so she wouldn't be able to stay with us.

(She had a still born daughter and then her marriage failed. Then, she moved next door to us when I was pregnant with dd. She never bonded with the boys but treated daughterlike a niece / granddaughter.)

Any other options? What ideas do you have?

in the better inlaw situations, one could could contribute the food to relatives eating enjoyment and even sit down to a Thanksgivng meal with them with our vegan food for us. It would mean just walking across the street but they are who they are and it is what it is.

Life is ironic, that some people will be traveling long distances to see relatives and for us Thanksgiving is just another day to avoid them.

Thanks in advance for ideas of what to do with the food.
Last edited by Hiddenjem on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

Melody
Nuclear

Re: Ideas please

Post by Melody » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Food Bank/Homeless Shelter is ALWAYS a lovely idea, and the co-ordinator will most certainly have ideas to share (this population does not always have heating resources that we might take for granted.

Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Post by Hiddenjem » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:44 am

Thank you Melody!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 pm

At my shul, there is always a Thanksgiving basket food drive. Our Temple has a temporary housing program for homeless families and they ask congregants to donate food items to put together complete Thanksgiving dinners plus breakfast items (pancake mix, syrup, etc) for these families. You may want to check with your church. They may have congregants or others they know are in need (maybe temporarily out of work, etc) who would be really grateful to have a holiday meal for their family.

A Homeless Shelter or Domestic Violence women's shelter are also great ideas. I think they're fortunate to have businesses and groups providing food supplies for Thanksgiving.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”

Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Post by Hiddenjem » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:03 pm

I like those ideas as well!

Thank you Watchingmyback!