Anyone else like Musicals?

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Anyone else like Musicals?

Post by Hiddenjem » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:00 pm

I am watching "Hairspray" (live) right now.

(I was thrilled to find something on television that wasn't holiday season related!)

I also like "The Sound of Music" and "Grease"

Are there any others that I am missing out on that you may enjoy? Thanks!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

MountainLover
Infuriated

Re: Anyone else like Musicals?

Post by MountainLover » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:59 am

Glee, both the series, the musical and the sequel. Pure high school camp, but loads of fun. Also Chicago with *MMMMMM EYE CANDY* Richard Gere.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:48 am

Yes. And I've seen A LOT! Pre-kids I worked an easy walk to the theater district AND had connections to get cheap or free last minute tickets. :) Post kids - my kids work in the high school shows and the whole family loves the local dinner theater (still $$$!).

"Allegience" is wonderful.

And of the older standards there are so many good ones! I think my all time favorite is "Cabaret" (it didn't hurt that it was playing at the old Studio 54!). A few of my favorites: Les Miserables (NOT the two horrid movies), "Phantom of the Opera" (cheesy :)), "Miss Saigon" and "Fiddler on the Roof" (ODD's favorite).

DH likes "Man of La Mancha", and "Jekyll and Hyde".

I took my son and some of his friends (all 13 year old boys) to see "Oliver" and they loved it!

The first and probably worst show I ever saw was "Cats". Yech - and I LIKE cats! I don't know why THAT of all shows ran so long!

@Mountainlover - "Chicago" the movie and "Chicago" the show were quite different (Cellophane Man has a much smaller part in the theatre version) although agreed - the movie was quite good. (Saw it with Bebe Neuworth at their dress rehearsal - wow!).

IrishLass
Fuming

Post by IrishLass » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:00 pm

I was born in the wrong decade. I live Judy Garland musicals and Bing Crosby. My favorites also some Disney musicals. To this day though I really like The Wiz with Michael Jackson and Donna Summers.

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:52 pm

I was very disappointed that DH was the one that scanned the channels last to see if there was any DVR worthy shows. He doesn't even know what Hairspray is. I hope it will be on demand.

When DH and I first got married and relocated, the first job I got was in the credit dept at Sears. The credit dept shared responsibilities as the safe/money vault dept, and the check cashing service. We sold concert and play tickets through the new-fangled computer Ticketmaster service. As a result and so that we could better sell tickets by having visited the venues, we were given free tickets to each and every play at the two play houses in the two closest cities.
The manager rotated which employee got which tickets, but obviously I was the one who liked them the most because after everyone had visited each venue at least once and if no one else wanted to go, I got them. I got to see some wonderful plays. Never phantom or Les Mis but the ones I remember off the top of my head were:

The Music Man with Gary Collins and Pam Dauber (MIndy of Mork and Mindy)
Annie
Sugar Babies with Mickey Rooney
Cats-which I thought was fun from the second row. One of the tails flew off right at my friends feet.
Greater Tuna and Tuna Christmas (local, but priceless)
Carousel
West Side Story
Oklahoma
Stomp
The Wiz-but it was the road show so no big names.
There were more and I'm sure I'll remember them later.
In concert, I got to see Bruce Springsteen on his Born in the USA tour from the front row. Somebody offered me $200 for my ticket but I said no.

I left the job soon after and got another job that also occasionally gave us tickets to NFL and MLB games. We even got to see my Alma Mater play in the Final Four basketball tournament. OMG, DH was much happier with those than the theatre tix!

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:06 pm

I started watching the "Hairspray" live but got distracted about half-way through.

I adore musicals, too! My favorites are:

#1 - Fiddler on the Roof (I can watch this over and over and never tire of it)

Chicago - (Richard Gere is a distant cousin of mine -- and I loved his performance in that movie, too!!)
Taming of the Shrew (Elizabeth Taylor)
Funny Girl
My Fair Lady
Oliver
Annie
Mary Poppins
Music Man
Paint Your Wagon

Stage version (didn't like the movie version):
Mama Mia
Phantom of the Opera
Les Mis

And the "children's" musicals that I really love the songs to are:

Mr. Magoo's A Christmas Carol
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:18 pm

My two younger kids (and DH) love "The Wiz" movie.

Another vote for "Stomp" - I didn't include it as a favorite because its not a singing or dancing musical but it was very cool and innovative (A few commercials like Pringles ripped of the concept).

BTW, if you like this kind of entertainment and haven't give SNL (Saturday Night Live) a chance. Its quintessential (taped) live theater with NYC attitude. DH and I watch it Sunday afternoon, lol.

@Rubycrownedkinglet - I am so NOT surprised you've been to a lot of musicals! I'm really lucky my DH really enjoys them (he started out as a theater major), doesn't care for sports (even though he was a football player in high school - linebacker) and is actually straight.

Your "Cats" story is HILARIOUS. I might have enjoyed it I literally watched the fur fly. :lol:

@WatchingMyBack - What's "Paint Your Wagon" about? I don't know that one.

Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Post by Hiddenjem » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:25 pm

I am enjoying learning everyone's favorites!

The Wiz is on regular television right now!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:23 am

Oh, forgot to add "Wicked" and "The Book of Mormon"

OMG, The Book of Mormon - I laughed so hard at some of the song lyrics that I had tears in my eyes.

IrishLass
Fuming

Post by IrishLass » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:47 am

Has anyone seen "Rent"? I have not and not sure it would suit me. I loved Cats! Saw it in Toronto when I was 10 years old and got hooked. I also loved Lion King live in Toronto. I still think my most favorite Disney movie/musical is "The Happiest Millionaire". Summer Nights with Burl Ives is great too.

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:47 pm

"Paint Your Wagon" is a musical from the 1960's with Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin and Jean Seberg. Neither Clint Eastwood or Lee Marvin have a decent singing voice, but the story is comical.

Basically about a bunch of lonely men in a mining town in the late 1800's. The two main characters "buy" a wife that a Mormon is wanting to be rid of and share her. Sounds awful, but it is funny (in a 1960's kind of way) and sweetly romantic at the end. I was always a big fan of Lee Marvin and thought Clint Eastwood was SOOOO handsome (back in the 1960's he really, really, really was), so I look past the off-key singing.

Rather like "The Unsinkable Molly Brown". Love the story, love Debbie Reynolds, but find the songs in that movie a little long and irritating. Recently watched it and FAST FORWARDED through the songs!

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:22 pm

@WatchingMyBack - Well, didn't you just make my day! :) I just put towards the top of my Netflix que and am looking forward to it. Eastwood looks pretty decent for his age now, but yes - agreed - he was QUITE the eye candy! Thank you for the suggestion!

@Hiddengem - fun light post! :)

Not sure if anyone is a Simpsons fan, but I really wish someone WOULD come out with "Planet of the Apes - The Musical":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmzUEQxOvA

JeanLouiseFinch
Fuming

Post by JeanLouiseFinch » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 pm

I really don't like musicals, but oddly, my very favorite movie is "Wizard of Oz."

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:26 pm

@WatchingMyBack- We received the "Paint Your Wagon" DVD and DH looked at it and said there was "No WAY" he was going to watch THAT. He would read his book instead (new gift from me which he was ALL about). So we put the DVD in, and five minutes later the book was down. DH was tapping his foot to the music and enthusiasically named off 5-6 of the actors (and he's younger than me). So yes that was a fun one and cute too. Clint's singing could be much worse, lol! Thank you.

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Melody, I'm so glad you both liked it :D