Competiition Over Food Post

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Competiition Over Food Post

Postby Melody » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:34 pm

I wish the poster of this had put this in the forum (either non in-law or in-laws) because I thought it was a hoot and a fun topic. Its also so relevant to this time of year.

Its not about one's ability to cook but the obnoxious 'tude about it, lol. I disagree with the poster only about either being able to cook well or not. I'm a good cook now, but it took an interest, practice and some guidance from friends. I don't knock anyone who can't or doesn't want to unless they're aholes about it.

Stepmonster pretends she can cook. She dumps store bought prepared food with some added grossness to it - sometimes something spoiled in the refrigerator onto a plate claiming its "homemade". (And either lies or has no clue about the ingredients when anyone asks about allergens). Then she looks for praise. She spends more time in the kitchen hiding the packaging. The only "homemade" thing on the table was some alleged mashed potatoes that were bright yellow and more liquid than solid. (Shudder).

Yep, and she tried to put my cooking down. Like if I used organic beef it was "that grass fed sh*t" - only for her to go out and buy it the next week and brag that she did. And then she'd claim she didn't eat certain foods only to take two servings and end up looking like a dog licking the plate clean. Whatever.

On the other extreme. another in-law who I was very fond of was hilarious about her inability to cook (she had many other talents). But she was happy to teach young teens such fun "receipes" as "Hamburger a la Gameshow". This is when you:
- heat up the stove with a pan on top
- throw a burger in it
- cover with lid
- turn off the stove
- watch a 1/2 game show
- throw burger onto a plate

Vola! Bon Appetit! :lol:
Melody
Nuclear

Re: Competiition Over Food Post

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am

I didn't cook for the ILs too often so there was no real competition. It wasn't until the last couple years they were alive and previous cook, GoodSIL finally left EBIL that I cooked when we visited. MIL was truly grateful for that after enduring FILs cooking, so not a problem. She made little digs, about one thing or another, but later usually shared privately, that it had been good.

OMG, my stomach has celebrated each holiday that we didn't have to eat the ILs food. It wasn't so much about being bad cooks as not giving a sh!t and not worrying about the safety of the food. The dishes they cooked were very regional and odd to me. For instance, they added hard boiled eggs and leftover chicken to everything. I think it came from their very poor ancestors that only had chickens and eggs and whatever they could grow or hunt to eat.

MIL may have been a good cook when she was younger, I don't know, but I rarely ate anything at her house that wasn't way overcooked, unseasoned, and cold. She always cooked everything in advance and let it sit too long so that it was dry and stringy. I think she had poor impulse control and would wake up at 3 am and worry about the holiday meal the next day, so she'd just turn on the oven and start cooking. Thanksgiving dinner, all ready at 9 or 10 am.

I'm not sure why, but what few leftovers MIL put in the in the fridge were never covered and always dried out and were useless. Most of the leftovers were placed in the microwave for safe keeping, since it was the magic box, you know :wink:. It kept the roaches out of the food, but seriously, how did she explain to herself all of them having stomach trouble all the time? Except MIL herself, because she rarely ate anything at all.
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby momjeans » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 pm

I’ll have to go search and read it.

I’m an exceptional cook, not bragging, just fact. :D Also, DH is a chef and co-owns an Asian fusion restaurant, so we cook a lot!

My MIL is a very insecure person. On top of that, she is a southern woman with no clue how to, or desire to learn how to cook. DH states she can make a total of five dishes, and that most of them include dumping cans into a pot and warming it up.

She always prided herself with bringing a ton of food trays from Costco to our parties or meals in the past. The only home cooked contribution she has ever made was a turkey, and she failed miserably at that. Dry and bland tasting.

The times that my in-laws have had meals at our house, she has always exaggerated what a good cook I am with some passive-aggressive and snarky compliment.
Not my family. Not my flying monkeys.
momjeans
Fuming

Postby Melody » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 am

@Ruby - my stomach is turning. I totally get it. Stepmonster claimed that sometimes her refrigerator "stops working" and has tried to pass off spoiled gross food on us. And that doesn't even excuse the crap way past the expiration date, or stuff that's been left out on the counter.

My older daughter is a near vegan - so I'm even gagging at the leftover chicken and egg. And I'm sure there's no way of telling which has been around longer, lol.

@Momjeans - you could have stopped with the word "can". Not to be snobby (my family was the recipient of the church food pantry for a few years - so I don't want to throw stones! Thank you!). But really - canned - ick. IMHO the only foods that should come out of cans are stuff like chickpeas, beans and tuna - to be mixed with fresh foods.

So WOW! Asian fusion! Is there nothing better? We had a work lunch at one last week and it made the drive worthwhile. I'm kicking myself for not buying extra ginger dressing to bring home. (My kids will eat ANY vegetable if there's ginger dressing, lol).

But it sounds like you need to drop MIL off at a Cracker Barrel (Yuck) then hit the gas and never look back, lol.
Melody
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Melody wrote:Yep, and she tried to put my cooking down. Like if I used organic beef it was "that grass fed sh*t"

:lol: :lol: :lol: this coming from a woman who serves hot dogs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I'm not knocking hot dogs. I personally don't eat them myself, but don't judge people who do. I'm just laughing because I find it hilariously ironic and I'm a little loopy from pain meds for my out-of-whack back. And I HATE pain meds, but that's how bad it is. :(
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 pm

@Mamarama- we had a lot of storm damage in my area. Her latest nonsense is that her "microwave works but not the stove". She had a RICULOUSLY expensive kitchen installed in a pretty Meh house in a Meh area. I don't want to EVER set foot in the house of horrors again, but if ever made any attempt to be civil, I would consider teaching her how to turn on the stove.

Oh, and I've heard from a few sources that she's smoking pot (again). She claims for "medicinal purposes now". Meanwhile its not legal in our state.

So who's "Grass Fed ShIt", now? :D
Melody
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:50 am

Melody wrote: Yep, and she tried to put my cooking down. Like if I used organic beef it was "that grass fed sh*t"

There's one thing that really disturbing about this statement. What EXACTLY does she think cows eat? Other cows?!? Her stupidity and/or ignorance is showing. Hasn't she ever heard of mad cow disease?!? I've never seen cows eat anything other than grass, and we had a couple of cows when I was growing up. Yes, you can feed them grain, but grain comes from a type of grass if we're gonna get all technical about it :) And there's much more to it to make meat officially organic than feeding the cows grass. There's the whole vaccination thing, etc.
mamarama
Nuclear

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk