Recipe Swap

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Recipe Swap

Postby mamarama » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 pm

HiddenJem and I had talked a while ago about starting a recipe swap. The main objective is to post healthy but easy recipes. We're always open to new ideas :D If you've got a not-so-healthy recipe to share that's delicious, please share too! Please no mediocre recipes; share your faves. Her weight loss thread is inspirational! I'll go first.

parmesan herb chicken *only 3 ingredients!*
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast pounded to uniform thickness. (Imagine you're pounding out your frustrations on your MIL. :lol: Who said cooking can't be therapeutic?!? )

1/2-3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese ( I usually use 3/4 cup because I love, love, love parmesan)
1 packet Good Seasons dry salad dressing mix ( do not use zesty! too much pepper in it)

mix cheese and dressing mix in shallow bowl or dinner plate. coat chicken with mixture, lay chicken on baking sheet, and put the extra cheese/dressing mix on top of chicken. Bake at 400 degrees on a greased baking sheet, about 30 min, or until chicken is done. (I usually line my baking sheets with foil to make for an easier clean up.)

Use leftover chicken in casserole recipe that follows. If you don't think you'll have enough left-over chicken, double the recipe. This chicken is also really good made into sandwiches.

* hint: when I make this dish, I always serve it with fresh steamed broccoli and green peas, I make enough to have leftovers, and I use the veggies in the casserole too.

casserole
dice up leftover parmesan herb chicken. In large mixing bowl, combine with leftover broccoli and peas, and 1 lb cooked short pasta. Mix in 1-2 cans Campbell's reduced fat cream of chicken soup, about 6 oz shredded monterey cheese (more if you want it extra cheesy), and 1 can sliced or diced water chestnuts. Put in casserole dish, sprinkle more cheese on top if you like, cover with tin foil or casserole dish lid, and bake at 350 degrees for about 40-ish minutes, or until bubbly. If you don't cover the casserole, it will dry out in the oven.
Last edited by mamarama on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 12 times in total.
mamarama
Nuclear

Re: Recipe Swap

Postby mamarama » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:51 pm

black bean salad HJ, I know you're vegan, so these two recipes are for you. But they're so yummy I think everyone will enjoy them.

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2-3/4 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar, more if needed

Just mix it all up and enjoy!

my grandma's green beans

1 lb fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 tbs basalmic vinegar
2 tbs slivered almonds (toast them if you like)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional)

Blanche beans and plunge in ice water to stop cooking process.
whisk together oil and vinegar. pour over beans and mix. Add almonds.
If you are using parmesan cheese, I suggest adding it right before serving so all the flavors stay independent, because the cheese will absorb the dressing.
Can be served warm, room temp, or cold. ( I like 'em after they've been in the fridge!)
Last edited by mamarama on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 pm

lentil soup *I'll post vegan substitutions at the end
2 tbs olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced. Must use fresh garlic, not the jarred stuff.
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 lb cured ham, chopped (you can buy diced ham to make life easier)
6 cups chicken stock
1 14-oz can diced or chopped tomatoes, undrained
1 cup lentils
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup small pasta
1 Chicken bouillon cube
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large soup pot. Add onion. cook over medium heat for 2 min. Add carrots, garlic, celery, and ham. cook another 4 min, stirring often. Add stock, undrained tomatoes, lentils, parsley, chicken bouillon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and boil 1 min. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30-35 min. Do not let it get to a rolling boil. Add pasta, then cook for an additional 5-10 min.

goes great with a crusty baguette!

*vegan version: omit ham, substitute veggie stock for chicken stock, and sub veggie bouillon cube for chicken cube, if you can get it at the market.
Last edited by mamarama on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:02 pm

my Italian great-grandmother's apple torte

folks, this one is low fat and delicious! Vegetarian but not vegan. definitely a keeper. And it's so, so easy

1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup red apples, diced
pinch of salt

beat egg slightly in bowl. Add sugar and beat with hand-held mixer until frothy. Add apple and stir in remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour into greased pie dish and bake at 325 degrees for 25 min.

This is delicious by itself but also a la mode
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 am

Perfect Pancakes

1 cup of flour (whatever kind that you prefer) I use whole grain

1 tbsp. of sugar (whatever kind you like to use) We were using unbleached organic but switched using Stevia or Splenda due to Dh's diabetes and adjusted the measurements a bit.)

2 tsp. baking powder

1/8 tsp salt (optional- you can use a salt substitute) We switched to one due to Dh's heart issues

1 cup of milk (whatever kind you like) I like almond milk in mine

1/2 to 3/4 (your choice) of dark brown sugar

2 tsp of veg oil OR (I prefer apple sauce as a sub)

1. Set out all of your ingredients

2. Set a stove element with a pan to medium heat
3. Combine the five dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, brown sugar) two tablespoons not two teaspoons of salt optional) in a bowl

4. Add milk of your choice and applesauce (or veg oil)

Mix until smooth (I use the flour sifter to put the ingredients into the bowl) and then mix it some more

5. Check the pan by splashing water on it. If water bubbles and dances, it is ready. Add batter to electric skillet (or pan.) I prefer the electric skillet. I do not like how this recipe turns out using gas range tops and skillet pans or regular skillet pans.

6. Flip the pancakes when you see the bubbles in the middle of them

Delicious!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:53 am

My Tofu

buy extra firm tofu (recommend one pack per person in household for enough leftovers for later)

slip open package over sink and let drain liquid drain out dump on plate

Slice like cheese in consistent slices

lay tofu down with sides touching with no gaps on large plate

repeat until plate is covered by tofu

Now the seasonings

my favorite option

basil
garlic
oregano
texturized vegan protein (OR you could use sprinkle parmesan cheese if you like cheese)

sprinkle each seasoning on the exposed side of the tofu in layers

Do so as if you were making a pizza (I start with garlic)

Warm up skillet with your choice of "butter" (We use vegan earth balance) Use what you have or like to use though

On medium heat on a electric skillet (or a pan on the stove whatever works for you)
lay the tofu slices down side by side on the cooking surface of your choice

Check tofu and flip over when you see it starting to "tan" a little but not burn

Then, sprinkle seasonings as you did before on the other side

Check for the tofu "tan" starting and flip with a fork

Serve! It is good with whole grain toast in our opinion but whatever kind of bread you like would be great!)

I use Mrs. Dash on mine at the table and Dh uses pepper.
The combination of the spices above make the tofu taste like eggs in my opinion.

Other seasoning options

Cilantro
lime juice

or
just
lemon pepper (really good too!)
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:38 pm

^^^ is this one of the recipes you did on the cooking segment?
mamarama
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:49 pm

Yes, I remember having the tofu cooking demonstration on the show. The tricky part is there were two shows. I didn't keep my notes on the shows as well. It was quite the impressive behind the scenes with planning and organizing for the presentation though!

I remember it had a lot to do with herbs and their health benefits on the show with suggested uses. Pumpkin seeds for men to prevent prostrate issues. Garlic can be used on foods as a natural comfort / treatment for colds etc. Nuts are good for keep us full (for snacks) and getting rid of belly fat. Also, the many impressive benefits for chia seeds, hemp seeds, and flax seeds (both kinds.)

The seasonings/ nuts/ seeds all work well with my way of eating (whole grain carbs/ fruits/ veggies/ nuts / seeds / almond milk/ no animal protein/ no eggs/ no cows milk/ low sodium / no table salt or salting while cooking/ no desserts .) I use Mrs. Dash in the place of salt.

I actually have a healthy shopping list and meal ideas that I put together that I used to share with anyone who was interested. Hopefully, it wasn't saved on the computer that crashed. I will keep looking for it in a file or in one of the folders I had printed out for anyone interested. The meal plan, possibly recipes and snack ideas would be in that file!

--------

I found some of my notes from the show (items that work for a whole grain carb, no dairy, no egg, no cows milk, no tomatoes way of not eating) Yes, two of us are allergic to tomatoes. Life is never boring!

-steel cut oats (cooked as directed) with fresh fruit (or brown sugar if preferred)

-bran cereal with almond milk (or milk type of your choice)

-pumpernickel or rye bread with low sugar jam

-oven roasted sweet potatoes with sautéed mushrooms, onions and peppers)

-muesli with almond milk (or your milk of choice)

-instead of salad dressing use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar with oregano mixed in)

-legume based bean salad (chickpea, black bean, corn) We like galic, oregano, basil, and Mrs. Dash)

Grain based salads: whole grain pasta with veggies , couscous cooked with corn and veggies, bulgar, and whole grain rice

Sandwich wrap: black bean dip, pepper, tomatoes, and dark green lettuce

Meat and tomatoe sauce free chili (kidney beans, pasta, seasonings)

Whole grain homemade pizza crust

-
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:48 pm

This is a total cheat - but Vegan even though its labled "bisque", but my whole family loves the Medival Times Tomatoe Soup (sorry for those allergic!) -although I used fresh tomatoes (Roast at 400 F for 30 minutes, add garlic then roast for 15 minutes more, I cut out the tops then put in the food processor):

https://realandquirky.com/medieval-time ... ue-recipe/

We usually have it with grilled cheese sandwiches (Cheddar on Challah Bread).
Melody
Nuclear

Postby mamarama » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am

Melody wrote:This is a total cheat - but Vegan even though its labled "bisque", but my whole family loves the Medival Times Tomatoe Soup (sorry for those allergic!) -although I used fresh tomatoes (Roast at 400 F for 30 minutes, add garlic then roast for 15 minutes more, I cut out the tops then put in the food processor):

https://realandquirky.com/medieval-time ... ue-recipe/

We usually have it with grilled cheese sandwiches (Cheddar on Challah Bread).

This looks awesome, and my 5 year old dd LOVES tomato soup. I'm going to try it tonight!
mamarama
Nuclear

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk