Bad dentist experience yesterday

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Bad dentist experience yesterday

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:16 am

I recently had bonding one on the chip on one of my front teeth from falling on a brick path due to a long dress.

A part of the bonding came out days later. The dentist wanted me to come back in. I did. He looked at it and said that he just smooth that out. He pulled a mini sander. He smoothed out the corner of the chipped tooth. I trusted him. It made my smile crooked though. I told him as much. Then, without asking he used the tool on the next tooth to make them even! The other tooth! I was horrified and upset! It had no chip or issue. Why not bond the one like before? He said that it would keep chipping because of the shape of my front teeth when I bite down.

I would of rather had the bonding redone and not have my two front teeth filed! I could of lived on soft foods or liquid only food and ate pinches sandwiches verses basic chewing.

True, my teeth aren't small so he had that option verses small teeth. Everyone says it looks fine and I still have good teeth. They are very white and I used to like my smile. However, I feel the difference and would of preferred or walk around with the small chip in the one tooth and keep both teeth their natural size! I wasn't asked though and feel violated and robbed of the choice.

It brought back memories of being raped at 18 because being in control of choices is important to me. If this was a bad haircut, it would grow back. Now, my smile is changed forever and my front teeth look and feel different. I don't care if people say they are white and look fine. Some people say they like my teeth better now. I didn't have a issue with my teeth though.

Everyone says it looks fine. My mouth looks odd to me and I miss my front teeth the way they looked before so much. Who cares if he has enough tooth surface to work with in theory! The two teeth feel like alien items in my mouth verses "my teeth."

I have to figure out how to smile again once I stop crying. My mouth feels odd. My tongue keeps trying to find my real front two teeth verses the reshaped done shortened ones.

Thanks for listening.
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Re: Bad dentist experience yesterday

Postby Melody » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 am

Sorry Hiddengem! I can see how that would be tramatic. I can totally see why you feel violated. So many dreams involve teeth being loose and falling out that there has to be a pyschology behind it.

Years ago I had a chip in my front tooth (I bit down to pull the plastic tag off of clothing - dumb move!). Years later (late 20s) I had braces.

The orthodontist asked me if I wanted him to fix the chip. But he discussed it with me first! (Big friggin' difference!). I have large teeth too, but apparently also long roots. He set the braces to pull the chipped tooth downward and weeks after it was set in place, he shaved the bottom of the tooth off, leaving my front teeth the original perceived length.

Having had a lot of extrations and braces for years, I know you mouth feels foreign to you. You WILL get used to the physical feel of it. But what that dentist did - no communication - even if he was offering the best solution - was just wrong. And how could you know if it was the best solution if you weren't given an option? Sorry sweetie!
Melody
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks Melody! I feel like I have someone else's teeth in my mouth. It helps to hear that I will get used to this feeling!
"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Postby miwako » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:06 am

I hate when dentists just do permanent things without saying anything. When I was a teenager I had two cracks in my front teeth which had become discolored. My enamel was damaged when I was very young and as such was, and still is, very thin on nearly all of my teeth. They said they could put bonding over it and I agreed. What they didn't tell me was that they were going to scrape all the enamel off first! The dentist started, then walked away mid procedure for something, and I looked in the mirror. I nearly screamed! What was once two small brown lines were now two enormous grooves in my teeth. He covered it with the bonding, but bonding is translucent, so I could still see the horrible patch job. Years later it's become less awful looking, but I have two new cracks, because that's what crummy enamel does, and I haven't bothered doing anything about it. And that wasn't even my worst dental experience! Even though I've found a dentist I like now, I still haven't been back since I lost my insurance.

I've had so many bad experiences with dentists. Because of my enamel problem most of them look in my mouth and see a new Lexus. Ooh, look! $5000 for braces and $8000 to clean up the mess the braces make! Sign me right up! Please. :roll:
miwako
Nuclear

Postby Hiddenjem » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:27 pm

I feel for you Miwako. I hate that you have bad dental experiences. Also, you are dealing with concerns without insurance and current challanges.

We tried the dental student / university option for "just" cleanings in the past. We didn't have dental insurance at the time. The catch is if you need to reschedule an appointment once you get into the program, out you go as a patient. We were all kicked out of it due to a scheduling conflict with one of us.
Hiddenjem
Nuclear

Return to Non-In-Laws Talk