Hello!

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Hello!

Post by WatchingMyBack » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Been trying to get settled in my new home since January. DH had a bad accident in December that delayed things and derailed life.

I've missed my lovely birds of a feather friends here and hope everyone is well. Just reaching out with a hello.

My thoughts for today:

Retirement isn't what I had wanted it to be (I do actually like to work and I miss getting a paycheck!). Once my DIL doesn't need me to watch GS twice a week, I plan on finding something part-time somewhere (anywhere!)

Made some great new friends here, despite the ENDLESS whining of DH about how much he HATES HATES HATES living in the South. Too hot, the people are TOO different, too much traffic, food is too expensive, water is too expensive, utilities are too expensive. Refuses to look for the good in anything. GS was very attached to DH but he wasn't giving him the kind of attention he wants. I do, so now GS is VERY attached to me (he just spent 6 days with us). Now DH ignores GS and finds fault. With a 2 year old. Seriously. He is JUST LIKE MIL. AGHGGHHGHGH

DIL is also unhappy that GS is attached to me. They got home from a long trip yesterday. His reaction to seeing DIL and ODS? He cried and clung to me. We made a hasty retreat so they could have family time. ODS said GS lay on the floor for 10 minutes wailing for me to come back. DIL and ODS are glued to their phones. I'm not and give GS my attention. They just don't get it.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”

jigglypuff
Nuclear

Re: Hello!

Post by jigglypuff » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:07 am

Welcome back and thanks for updating us! I'm glad you're well. Sorry about your DH's accident and his unhappiness with the move.

I'm with your DH when it comes to southern heat but I personally find the people to be very outgoing and friendly.

I'm boggled over your DH's and DIL's unhappiness with GS becoming attached to you. Don't children normally bond closest to the person they see most often and give them attention? Also, what kid doesn't adore their GM? Especially when GM loves them unconditionally the way you do? He's only 2 for cryin' out loud, smh. I hope they both come to their senses because I think they're being pretty silly over this. This is just something little kids do, it's no biggie.

Oh and good luck on finding a job! Fingers crossed and positive vibes your way on finding something you enjoy.
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 am

That's my thinking, too! Why would you be unhappy that someone adores your child and he knows it?

I have a lot of SMH moments these days, now that the dust has settled.

I will add that the 55+ community we moved to is actually pretty awesome. The section we are in, all of the homes are new construction, so most of the people buying them are like us. Around 60 and newly or nearly retired. The other section is 15+ years old and the people are wayyyy older. But I knew this was going to be a good fit when I went to the gym and they were playing music from the early 70's on the intercom! Oh, yeah!

blue iris
Fuming

Post by blue iris » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:34 pm

WMB, that is great that you like the 55+ community. DH and I did that, but didn’t have the same luck. After we moved in, also all new construction, we discovered that most of the residents were at least 20 years older than us! Their kids were our age. We moved out after a few years back to the town we came from and are much happier again.

I hope all works out well with DH and DIL. I’m expecting my DD and her hubby home tonight after leaving the littlest one with us for a week!

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Blue Iris - I could definitely see not having much in common with people 20 years older than you are. Some of the people have purchased resale in the "historic" part of the community (homes 15+ years old) and they have said it's very hard making friends within an established group. Even in the new section where we live, there are streets that have decided to ONLY invite neighbors on THEIR street for certain things. Oye! Life is too short for that, people! But there are some really fun and social people we've made friends with and that's enough for me. I'm good with the 80/20 (or maybe even 90/10) rule - I'm good with 10% of the people and the rest, who cares?!