I have to move

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

miwako
Nuclear

I have to move

Post by miwako » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:26 am

Our electrical wiring has been slowly falling apart for the last few years. This year the landlords decided they weren't going to renew our lease because we could lose power at any time and they'd have to cut through the walls to rewire everything. If we tried to stay another year and the last wire did fail, they said they wouldn't be responsible for putting us up somewhere else, and they'd charge us $750 to transfer to another apartment, or if we wanted to move elsewhere we'd have to pay up to $3000 to buy out our lease. I'm a little put off by that last part, I understand not paying for my expenses, but charging me 3 months rent to leave an unlivable apartment seems questionable.

The problem is that the new place is upgraded and will be $135 more per month. I'm sure it's nice, I'd love to have a built-in dishwasher and actual counter space in my kitchen, but I don't know how we're going to afford it. It's technically still within the legal maximum of less than 1/3 our pre-tax income, but things are tight for us as it is. I'm going to have to try to get another job to pay for it.

We've looked around, and moving farther doesn't seem like a better option. Everywhere I've looked at seems to be only slightly lower, and that's before any added fees, or a lot smaller and in worse neighborhoods. I don't really want to get rid of half my stuff so I can move to a place where my car gets stolen.

I had started looking into buying a place last year. We wanted to get a duplex so we could rent out the other half, but with Grandma dying and all the work we had to do around that, it got put on the back burner. Plus my husband has had a ridiculously hard time getting away from his job, so a number of things sold before we even had a chance to look at them.

I'm not really sure what I want right now. I'm working on decluttering because I know I can't stay here, and I only want to move things I really want.

PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Re: I have to move

Post by PutMILinherplace » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:24 am

I am assuming you are in the US. What I am about to say is true of most places.

I would call the local housing authority & report them to the city. Find the county/city dept that takes care of rental property . They not only cant charge rent nor hold you liable on unlivable conditions in a rental. They are pulling a fast one on you. They are counting on you being ignorant of the law and/or not having the hutzpah to call the city and report.
You cant set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.

PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Post by PutMILinherplace » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:51 am

To add,

Also, once you do it they will tell you to get out. This is a good thing . It can take up to a month or two

1- it immediately releases you from the lease so they cant claim you have to pay the last few months

2- Again, this will help with the security deposit. also make sure you document everything that way they cant claim any of your security deposit.

3. Once the city gets involved and they move to evict you it might , depending upon where you are, make them liable to pay you moving expenses.

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:53 am

I don't have to worry about the security deposit, they already gave that back a few years ago. We figured it was because they knew they were planning on gutting the place when we left and there wasn't anything we could damage that they weren't already going to replace.

All the units have been remodeled as tenants left for the 10 years we've been here. We're in the last garden level unit that hasn't been remodeled. Now, one can take that two ways. One is that they're trying to push us out so they can finish the remodeling. The other is that there just aren't any more left at the lower rate to move into. They are legally allowed to say that they just won't renew our lease, which ends in just over 60 days, because they want to renovate, and it's not like the electrical problems are made up. We tripped the breaker just yesterday because I forgot to run an extension cord from another room before I used the toaster.

If we leave, that still puts us in the position of having to figure out where to go and how to move our stuff, and I'm not all that impressed with the places near us.

PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Post by PutMILinherplace » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:05 pm

What happens in most cases like this is there is an offer to move out. For example,
You tell the landlord (IN WRITING) that if they agree to let you out of the lease without penalties and give you $2000 in cash you will be out on the first of the month or whatever date you choose. They agree in writing and with a check. But of course you have to be out by midnight that day. I usually aim for a day or two earlier.

You can offer and all they can say is no but you have to be ready to move

Also, none of this matters if you file complaints with the city. Once you do that the landlord usually will be willing to offer you something to move out early. This is when its , "Lets Make a Deal" time.

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm

I agree. File a complaint with the City. That shouldn't be able to charge you for the fact that you need to leave an inhabitable apartment. There are probably tenant rights that you need to be aware of, and there could be penalties to the landlord. I know that is not always the case, such as in the backwards idiotic state that I now live in.
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”