How is everyone doing?

Talk about anything and everything not related to the in-laws

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

Melody
Nuclear

How is everyone doing?

Post by Melody » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:45 am

These are some very interesting times right now. How is everyone holding up?

I'm pretty lucky. I was supposed to start a new job and be on a television show, but these were both put on hold. My two college kids are home, and my younger two are home schooling.

We're running low on TP (WTF is THAT all about?). I've been doing some major decluttering.

We're very lucky that my DH is considered essential and is working a lot of overtime. DH told me that he is sure I'd be happy to know that his paaaaaaarents are holed up at home with plenty of supplies.

I hope everyone is doing well and healthy and enjoying their immediate families. Please share your stories!

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Re: How is everyone doing?

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Hi Melody. We are doing fine. We were lucky that my newSIL read some reports that forecast our winter to be horrible this year. Uhm...not. But in response, around November we bought an extra fridge/freezer for the basement and filled it with all kinds of food that we like. Most of the freezer stuff is still there, as I have rotated it out and bought new. We only had to brave the crowds for fresh things and we bought a few extras to go in the freezer.

I'd found my favorite TP at Costco and on big sale at Target and had bought several big packs in January. I ended up giving one to my SIL and her family who were in the same boat as you (but with 9 in the household!) In turn she gave me a couple dozen eggs, which I couldn't get otherwise.

We had the talk with New SIL and her family yesterday, via Facetime, that we are not going to break the self imposed distancing and that we'd have to see them by phone until whenever things calm down. Luckily, we all got together for DH's birthday a couple weeks ago. We got one more good party in before it hit the fan. I don't think they were too surprised because we had changed plans with them in January when ODNiece and her 3 kids had the flu. They couldn't believe we didn't want to come over and visit them with 4 flu cases in the home. Uhm, no thanks-love ya-see ya soon.

DH and I are retired and we don't have to worry about our paycheck or making our payments. We are blessed. We are accustomed to being around the house and coming up with things to do so that we don't go crazy or drive each other crazy. We have a great neighborhood where everyone seems to be following the distancing, but using the trails for walks and exercise, so we've gotten out as many days as possible. That helps. I've also been taking care of some of those oft put-off tasks around the house, but I find it challenging to not just veg out and stream TV.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 am

Thanks for the great update Ruby! My hubs is only a few years away from collecting a now rare defined benefit pension. So yea, I get it!

Your SIL (just in case you didn't already know) is an idiot! Could you imagine anyone coming down with both viruses because of her stupidity? UGHHH!!!

Regarding the TP, we're only a family of six, so I was just doing normal shopping when it ran scarce. We should be good now, but my DH has always been hilarious about TP. He once yelled at me because I bought 1 - ply that "Damnit! We're middle class! I deserve to have my rear end pampered!" and that when I bought 1 -ply "as a backup", pun intended, he mentioned about dealing with hard times. A friend of mine has individually wrapped rolls on her porch that anyone is free to take if they are short.

Kiddo one and three are currently out for a major hike. They don't see each other that much (kiddo one graduated early and her doctoral program - if things go well - starts in three months). I couldn't be happier for them.

jigglypuff
Nuclear

Post by jigglypuff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:27 am

Thanks for making this post Melody. My thoughts are with everyone here, along with friends and family throughout this miserable time.

I am glad that things are going good for you two.

Ruby your NewSIL was being ridiculous. I'll never understand people who think exposing others to illness is okay just for the sake of having a good time.

Melody, congrats to your DD! Quite an accomplishment. You must be beyond proud.

So far DH and I are fine. DH is still working and one person has tested positive at his job so far. So we don't know if we are carrying the virus right now. We are trying our best to build up our immune systems and stay healthy.

We are blessed to have caring neighbors who are offering to help one another.

My next door neighbor and her family are sick and she is awaiting test results. A cousin of mine has a sore throat and a fever and will be getting tested today. Hopefully they both turn up with negative results.

Praying and wishing the best for all of you. Please stay safe dear friends.
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'

Phred
Site Admin

Post by Phred » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:36 am

Hi, all! Overall, we're doing pretty good. My wife and I moved our offices from work into our dining room last week and have been working from home ever since. I work in higher education and our department works hand-in-hand with the group that does online learning, so we've been co-opted to help now that all of the classes are online. Because of that, I have more work than usual, which I'm thankful for, considering many other people's situations. We were a tad bit concerned about my wife's work, but her job has also had more work than usual, so PRAISE GOD! :)

The schooling-from-home (we're not homeschooling because, THANKFULLY, the teachers are still sending assignments, etc) is going reasonably well thanks to a good schedule. We've taken this opportunity to add in other lessons, like learning how to type and watching some YouTube channels that have started publishing more regular school-aged-focused content, etc.

Thankfully, our little family enjoys being around each other and we've managed to have just a handful of minor freakouts.

Now that we're self-isolating at home, we feel good about the health situation. We're GREATLY limiting exposure to anyone and anything. We've done some walks around the neighborhood, etc. but everyone's been great about keeping a distance from each other. We're mostly concerned about our parents because my IL's still aren't isolating as much as they should and we recently had to stock up my own parents' home because they were on the "it's just like the flu" kick. Both sets of parents have MAJOR underlying health conditions, so they should have been among the first to be prepared and to self-isolate. But... yeah.

More and more, I'm getting fringe reports of people I know being affected. A friend from middle school who lives in Italy lost a family friend and has another who is infected. The pastor that married her also passed away. A person in our neighborhood lost a cousin who is MUCH younger than the senior citizen age range. They're not sure if there were underlying conditions and may never know. The hard part is that nobody can grieve together because of the current situation, so it's that much worse.

I truly hope more people start taking this more seriously. I found out about the person in our neighborhood because they posted to a neighborhood message board after seeing kids out playing together with no social distancing. They were frustrated because of the idea going around that it's okay if kids get sick... but that ignores the fact that those kids eventually have to go back to live with adults who can get infected with dire consequences.

Stay well, everyone! We'll get through this... eventually!
Fred
Site Admin

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:33 am

We're going a little batty. I've been off work since March 16th, and the state has shut down all non essential businesses until April 7th, which could be extended. The day of the shut down order my employer told me I'd get paid for two weeks of sick time courtesy of the federal government, and that I could use half a week of vacation time, but that I couldn't use the sick time I had that expires at the end of April. Fast forward to yesterday, I was paid for the half day I worked that Monday plus the sick time I had already, the hours they said I couldn't use, but not the full week of sick pay. So I'm hoping that is coming April 3rd.

My husband is working more hours, as he is essential, and every time someone gets sick they have to be out longer. At least he gets overtime until April 15th. He's an extrovert, so the isolation has been making him crazy. I'm not sure how to deal with it anymore.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:07 am

@Jigglypuff - wow, sorry you're getting hit so hard! Although isn't it nice the way this also brings out the good in people? Its also nice to enjoy, in a way, simpler times. Please stay safe!

@Phred - Glad to hear you are adapting well. I'm with you as I worry about elderly friends (particularly ones who frequent a supermarket that became a hot spot for this.) A neighbor has family in Italy, but hasn't been able to communicate with them. My cleaning guy told me that Peru is being hit VERY hard. This is all scary and some people are just being very stupid about it.

Stay healthy and may your family too! And thank you so much for providing such a great mental health outlet!

@Miwako - I hear you! My income is non existent for the near future. So we're lucky (in a mixed blessing sort of way) that DH is essential.

Be well everyone! And let's hope "normal" returns soon!

jigglypuff
Nuclear

Post by jigglypuff » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:23 am

@Jigglypuff - wow, sorry you're getting hit so hard! Although isn't it nice the way this also brings out the good in people? Its also nice to enjoy, in a way, simpler times. Please stay safe!
Yes it is. I feel very blessed to live in such a kindhearted, giving community. It's something I've never experienced before. It's especially helpful since DH and I have no family here.

Just an update on what's going on...

My Evil Aunt, her H and their son are all sick with Corona due to her H's negligence concerning his company and employees. My DB works for him and was exposed and is now sick. I'm sure you can all imagine how we are feeling towards Evil Aunt's stupid husband.,,

Typical narcissist who has no consideration for anyone. Seems like it's mostly negligent, moronic narcs like him who are helping to spread this virus around.

My other Aunt had a tear in her intestines and had to go in for emergency surgery. Thankfully she is doing well so far and is Corona free.

I am feeling under the weather but it could be due to certain health issues I'm dealing with. We will see.

This is all wearing on us heavily. My mom is basically taking care of everyone. Doing everyone's groceries and sewing masks for the family.

I just hope this virus passes on sometime soon. It's driving me crazy!
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'

Phred
Site Admin

Post by Phred » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:39 am

We'll be praying for you jigglypuff! There's no doubt this is going to be rough for a bit, so keep trying to find those silver linings, like it being simpler times for a while.

If there's anything we can do virtually -- even if it's just to keep praying -- let us know! :)
Fred
Site Admin

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:36 am

Hang in there Jiggly, I hope you feel well soon and I hope your DB and the rest of your family are ok.

DH and I were just discussing how grateful we are that it hasn't gotten too bad here yet, but things seem to be shifting in just a matter of days, so we have been obeying all protocols and staying in. I've only ventured out twice in the last month and that has been to the store, with mask and gloves. I don't care what anybody thinks, it's to protect them from me, who might be a carrier but symptom-free.

We've been face-timing with a bunch of old friends in our old state and that has been fun. Our NewILs who are just about 15 minutes away from us have been calling or FTing daily to keep up. Unfortunately, one of the girls is feeling badly and NSIL had to take her to the doc to rule out Mono. The test was negative, but she is still sick and sleeping 15-20 hours per day. She has no resp symptoms, and they are isolating her from the other 8 people in the home, but it's very strange.

They think she may have gotten it at church a couple weeks before their last mass, during communion, drinking the wine...after everyone else. I wonder if that practice will ever happen again.

Ineedthemgone123
Annoyed

Post by Ineedthemgone123 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:12 am

HI, thx for asking. Well, I'm just killing time, we're officially on holidays but we are only allowed to walk around the house (the 1 km limit)... It started pretty well, when the parks were still open I was able to convince my husband to go walk with me and I haven't felt like that for a while (especially since last 2 months were all about the divorce unless I agree to go to his damn country) ... however now I'm mostly alone to walk around if I do (I mostly just stand in the parking lot in front of our apartment building ). The ILs smelt the opportunity to call A WAY MORE OFTEN (of course being rude to me) and my lazy ass BIL decided that in the middle of the damn pandemic where people are F DYING all the time we had to go buy him a google play card....wtf. Anyway, I basically thank God for the lockdown because DH is planning on getting my rude FIL here for "a surgery"(strangely suddenly the West doesn't stink that much for them when they need medical assistance). Anyways, so I thought it'd be a great opportunity to get my message through but DH doesn't seem receptive at all. His behaviour still sucks (not that I'm an angel though) you know the gaslighting and stuff but I remember very well that we used to be quite happy yet since his last two visits to his so dear homeland things are going bad. So, I thought I may as well try to manipulate him to put me first (I've never done it neither do I know how to do that). :roll:

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:42 am

I hope for the best for everyone sick or struggling.

I didn't get paid yesterday. I was supposed to get two weeks of sick pay, but they either forgot or decided to skip a week. After half an hour on hold with HR, they told me they'd pay me next week. Promise this time? :roll: Also that I should file for unemployment now, even though I still have pay incoming. Of course when I tried to do that, my state's unemployment website said that I had to wait a few days, because if your name starts with A-M, you have to file Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday. It's exhausting.

jigglypuff
Nuclear

Post by jigglypuff » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:16 pm

Phred, thank you so much. We are a family of faith so prayers and positivity are always appreciated.

Thank you Ruby. I hope your NIL recovers soon.

Miwako, I'm sorry you're dealing with that. This whole thing has hurt a lot of people financially. I hope you receive the money soon.

Everything is ok so far. UIL was given Hydroxychloroquine and is doing better. My Aunt was released from the hospital today and is also doing well.

My mom, DB, Evil Aunt and younger cousin are still in the early stages of sickness but they are ok so far.
Thankfully no family members in FL have fallen ill.

DH and I are doing well. Constantly wiping and cleaning every little thing we come in contact with is driving me a bit crazy but other than that, I can't complain.

I hope everyone is okay and healthy.

Phred
Site Admin

Post by Phred » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:15 am

jigglypuff wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:16 pm
DH and I are doing well. Constantly wiping and cleaning every little thing we come in contact with is driving me a bit crazy but other than that, I can't complain.
I know the feeling! I saw a video where someone likened COVID-19 to glitter ("just imagine it's glitter... everywhere!") and now I have that image in my head any time I touch anything or bring anything into the house, like mail, groceries, etc. WIPE! WIPE! WIPE! :lol:
Fred
Site Admin

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:23 am

They remembered to pay me this time! At least the 25 hours of furlough pay, they still forgot my vacation, but I'm so close to the end of my anniversary year I'm hoping I trigger the automatic pay out for it. That's such a huge relief!