Its 2020 and the new(ish) stoopid games have begun!

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

Melody
Nuclear

Its 2020 and the new(ish) stoopid games have begun!

Post by Melody » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:51 pm

Things had been peaceful and quiet for a few weeks, and we all know what that means.

Yesterday we get three cards in the mail with a return address from the lair.

Two cards were normal addressed cards to each of the two younger kids - nothing for the two older kids. Granted one is in college (and they never bothered to get his address) but the other graduated early and is home. Whatever - same favortism crap as usual.

The third card, however, is addressed in such a way that my DH looks at it and takes a picture to send to his brother with a caption of "WTF?" It is addressed to "Mr. & Mrs." stepmonster's maiden name and my mispelled name BEFORE I married DH.

DH's brother replies back, "She's stoned again". But doesn't offer more.

DH then proceeds to call his paaaaarents (puke). He has a semi-normal conversation with his father then stepmonster gets on. Granted, I only heard his side of the conversation, which was something like:

"You sent a card that I think I should send back because I don't think its meant for us".
"Uh huh..... uh huh..... uh huh....."
"Well that's not my name. There's no one here with that name."
"Uh huh.... uh huh.... uh huh...."
"Well that's not her name. She took MY NAME when we MARRIED. And you SPELLED IT WRONG ANYWAY!".
"Yes the kids are off, but no, we'll be away the WHOLE time they are off" (not true, lol).

"By the way, are the cards for ODD and ODS on the way? You KNOW ODD is home now".

"Uh huh."

"Yes, we'll try to find a weekend to get together for lunch. luv you mom" (puke!)

DH gets off the phone and we go about our business and trying to unwind from the day that just got more stressful. I don't ask anything and DH knows I heard enough.

DH (who as you may recall if you've been reading my rants for YEARS, lol) was a total DUH but over the years has experienced slow recovery. So a few hours later, DH is clearly rattled and I ask him what's up. He says the stupid card is bothering him and that what I've said for years is so accurate.

He actually seems relieved to talk about it. He realized the stupid card was about manipulation. DH pointed out that stepmonster couldn't have been "THAT out of it" because the cards for the two younger children were written out like a sane person.

I mentioned that she sent the cards to get him to call her and he agreed, saying he had also thought of that, and added that she's happy to jolt negative attention. I mentioned that his brother falls for it hook line and sinker ever time.

DH volunteered that stepmonster was fishing for a gift (SOOOOOOO proud of DH! Yes he gets it now!). He said that he while he used to send her a gift, he didn't see the point of it now. He then told me that when he was a teenager, he bought a girl a dozen red roses. Stepmonster threw a jealous fit (gross!) and got him so upset he tossed six of the roses at her. (puke).

Thank you for reading if you've made it this far. So while this stinks, this is some great progress, right my friends?

I mean I wish DH had the sense not to be baited into calling his parents, and I STILL get nauseous that he even MENTIONED the possibility of visiting them. I think its best if he had avoided this entirely, because it only encourages stepmonster. And when DH tells stepmonster what she's doing wrong, it needs to be in front of an audience because embarrassment is the only thing that b*tch seems to respond to. But hey, a girl can dream right?

So any new stunts or twists on the same old same old crap you want to share?

KeeperOfPrecious
Infuriated

Re: Its 2020 and the new(ish) stoopid games have begun!

Post by KeeperOfPrecious » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:50 pm

At first, the song “they call me Stacy, that’s not my name” pops up as I’m reading about the phone call lol.

You nailed it with the fact the other cards were written in clarity while yours had manipulation written ALL OVER IT. For sure! Hook, line, sinker. He took the bait and learned from it which is a good thing.

BTW, I hate the words “luv you mom” too hahahaha puke. But whatever, she is my husbands birth mother.

Nothing new here on my end except a little argument I had with my DH. I have some doc appointments coming up and I simply asked him not to “ accidentally include me in any convos with his mother”... he got so upset. He told me that he only talks to his mother one or twice a week (significantly lower) and that he only talks about the weather. I felt like if I didn’t say anything to him, he might bring up the fact that he’s out with me when his mother is the 50 million questions interrogator. I didn’t think it was off base to simply make a small request. That went sideways rather quickly because both us became defensive. Man, she gets in our heads every single day. Whatever, we got over it and it’s been dropped. So that’s that lol.

Happy Valentines Day to you from me :)

The devil himself is impressed with her handiwork.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Gotta love the Ting Tings! :)

I am SO happy for you that the mandatory phone calls have diminished so much. What does he do with all that free time now, lol!

I so relate to what you are saying about not involving you. Sometimes they just don't get it! Nevermind slips that they THOUGHT were "harmless" (yea right!), if he mentions something about what YOU think about the weather even that will somehow be turned around on you! If you don't like the rain, you MUST be suffering from depression. If you do, then it must be some kind of morbid mental illness. Oh, and you're selfish because you're not considering all the people who don't like it.

I really hope he cuts back more!

Thank you for your response Keeper and Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Post by PutMILinherplace » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:14 pm

Next time, anything that comes in the mail goes unopened into the garbage...or better yet the shredder. :twisted:

They you can honestly say you never saw any cards they sent. (You may have seen the envelopes but not the cards or letters!)

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Post by WhyOhWhy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:31 pm

I intercept literally everything addressed to this house and open it to ensure that not only is everyone included, but also that the item itself is appropriate (clothing sent 2 sizes too small go directly into the donation bag, do not pass go). I don't allow anyone to play those games via the mail, whether it be cards or gifts (and the number of games played surrounding gifts over the years could fill a small book). I don't know why people play such games, other than to inflict a moment of emotional harm. They're sickos, through and through.
I will not let them drag me down to their level again

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Melody wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:51 pm
The third card, however, is addressed in such a way that my DH looks at it and takes a picture to send to his brother with a caption of "WTF?" It is addressed to "Mr. & Mrs." stepmonster's maiden name and my mispelled name BEFORE I married DH.
OMG, this is so familiar. I've told this story before, but for the newbies:
My MIL did it to DH over the phone. It was almost like reverse gaslighting, trying to convince him that she was suffering from dementia. She said that her baby, ESIL, (insert sickening baby nickname) had gotten out of the yard and that she couldn't find her. Did he know her? Could he help her find (then 35 YO) ESIL? Cry, cry/help, help. DH called ESIL and demanded she go to MILs house, 5 minutes away to check on her. She made excuses to delay, then more drama ensued when FIL got home from church to the melee and said it would be so hard to be separated from MIL when she went to the nursing home. Miraculously, she was healed in that moment.

The kicker is that MIL called on the day before we were leaving on a big vacation, or so she thought. A couple weeks earlier, DH had slipped and told her of our vacation plans and she got the weeks mixed up. It was planned for the following week. When she apologized through FIL that we had to cancel our vacation to visit Redneckia instead, DH got a clue. She was jealous of us spending time off anywhere else but with her. DH couldn't have gotten off work to go to Redneckia on such short notice, and I was glad because it gave him time to think about it and we had a lovely time at the beach the following week.

It was just a couple months later that she died.

Oddly DH was talking about this incident last summer (9 years later) and he somehow mis-remembered that MIL spent those two months in the hospital before she died and he said he felt guilty that we had gone on vacation instead of visiting her. I had to remind him of the whole story. Luckily I had proof of the dates, or he may have thought it was me trying to gaslight him.

The reason MIL died was sepsis from pneumonia complicated by COPD. She was only in the hospital for a few days and we did delay visiting her, but it was because we didn't know if she was really that ill and wanted to confirm it with her doctor. She died before we got there.
Crying wolf has its consequences.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:54 pm

PutMILinHerPlace - I'm with you on this. Although in the past stepmonster and FIL have called up throwing fits about not getting thank you notes when they mailed something 48 hours before (weeks late I might add). So I'm afraid it would still turn into a "thing" because of DH.

WhyOhWhy - I couldn't agree with you more. It is absolutely sick. These women need to get a life - and one that doesn't involve us! The only good thing is that DH falls for the crap a lot less now.

Rubycrownedkinglet - not only crying Wolf but karma in full force!

That is a sad story indeed.

I've seen stepmonster's antics bite her in her @ss a few times, and while it is amusing, it would be so nice if it would stop!

And thank you for pointing this out. My DH so often "forgets" things that show his paaaaaaarents true selves!