Careers

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

Melody
Nuclear

Careers

Post by Melody » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:02 am

I was thinking this morning about how funny DH's stepmonster's career choices have been and thought it would be fun to share how apropos your IL's career choices may/may not be, lol.

DH's Stepmonster, for what little she actually worked before going on disability was to actually blab on the phone. VERY VERY fitting. This woman NEVER shuts up and even bragged how she was "trained" to keep talking while taking a breath. No sh*t.

Her next "career" was as a dog trainer. She believes she is the creme de la creme of dog trainers because she managed to pass a correspondence class. And yes, she put a lot of effort into b*tching and b*tching and b*tching because she thought she should have "graduated" with honors. (which even this place wouldn't do for her, lol).

This b*tch (again apropos) certainly trained DH and BIL to cater to HER. And there has been more than one instance of animals "having to be put down" in masses because she was bored of them. But I digress. Essentially the control freak became a "professional" controller.

So please share your stories, lol! :D

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Re: Careers

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 pm

My MIL was happy to drop out of school in the third week of 10th grade to marry a man who was 7 years older to get her out of her house and out of Redneckia. He moved her to the big city and she worked as a nurse's aide in a major hospital until she adopted DH. Then she stayed at home.

When ESIL, the youngest, was in middle school, MIL went back to work as a home health aide. I don't know what training she had to have, but she did it and worked for at least 15 years.

MIL was totally clueless when it came to medicine. She couldn't spell or pronounce any medical term correctly. She called me to help her figure out her many diagnoses. I can't imagine what she did for her patients outside of helping them with household tasks and counting their pills. In the evening she would announce that she had 6 patients to see tomorrow but she'd be home in time to see the Young and the Restless. Many of her patients were 30 to 45 minutes away. She'd make it home by 10:30am! How is that possible? I think many of her visits amounted to a wave and a signature. She was a quirky little lady, loud and in her way, funny. I think she manipulated the people she was being paid to care for into covering for her while she collected her money.

She never got caught or fired. She tripped over some construction debris at work and got full disability/early retirement. The home health company began paying her almost as much as when she was working. Maybe so she wouldn't sue them. Just a few years later, after the company was sold, an accounting caught the "error" and sent her a statement showing that she had already collected the total amount of her retirement funds and she was cut off.

In the mean time, she'd been pretty slick about paying for the disability rider on her car loan and they paid it off after her second payment. She was most proud of that achievement.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:23 pm

Hey I like Y&R, lol! But I tape it and "watch" it while I'm doing some repetitive computer work or folding laundry prepping food.

As usual, interesting story Ruby.

I can't imagine that it couldn't feel awkward to be around highly educated people as a high school drop out. (Not that drop-outs can't be brilliant, but they need to have something going on). Although she sounded smart enough to work the system with the least amount of effort. I feel bad for the patients that were slighted time and effort and assistance. Huh. Although it sounded like karma did eventually come back to bite her in the arse.

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Post by WhyOhWhy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:34 pm

My PILs and SIBs-IL all chose careers in the carer industry, which is rather ironic since not a one of them has a sympathetic, empathetic or caring bone in their bodies. They chose those careers because they are "respectable" ones. They can appear to be martyrs as they selflessly ensure the care of others and everyone assumes they actually care about other humans.
I will not let them drag me down to their level again