Yea! Reformed DUH!

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, willthetruthbetold, meimei

Yea! Reformed DUH!

Postby Melody » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 am

Once upon a time DH was so indoctrinated that he would have our kids call FIL and especially Stepmonster on THEIR birthdays. Like WTF?, such a "treat", right?

So DD1's birthday was this week - and a BIG one (ZERO acknowledgement), and DS2's birthday was yesterday. They called at about 7 and said the "cards are in the mail" (hmmm. Just for DS2? - stay tuned!).

DH DID call BIL and SIL (SIL WAS the sender) AND his awesome Aunt to have DS2 say thank you and to let them know we will send DD1 a package of cards. DH did NOT call his PAAAAAAAAAARREENTS! I KNOW this sounds horrid, but I cannot stress enough how cool this is.

I have NOTHING against BIL and SIL. They just have a different parenting style. DH's Aunts and Uncles are AWESOME!!! I've been telling DH for YEARS to acknowledge the GOOD ones and drop the ropes on psycho stepmonster and even his dad. He's FINALLY DOING IT!
Melody
Nuclear

Re: Yea! Reformed DUH!

Postby livingmylifeforme » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Woohoo! Hopefully he stays this way. Yes, that sounds horrid, but they deserve it. I'm just as horrid :wink:
livingmylifeforme
Angry

Postby jigglypuff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:05 am

Whoohoo! It's a step in the right direction. Hopefully it remains that way from here on out.
'As the days go by, I think of how lucky I am... That you're not here to ruin it for me'
jigglypuff
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:11 am

Thank you for the support livinglifeforme and jigglypuff! A card for YDS DID finally arrive two days ago, so they are full of crap that it was "in the mail". ODD got nothing. She is in college, but still, pretty lame.

I am a little annoyed at DH when I pointed out she wasn't acknowledged and he "didn't want to talk about it". Even more annoying he told YDS to call his "grandparents", even though he didn't really want to. Baby steps, right? Of course he didn't tell YDS WHAT to call his "grandparents", lol.
Melody
Nuclear

Postby WhyOhWhy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:29 am

I intercept most things that come into this house so I can make sure one of our children isn't left out. It's a game these people play - showing favoritism to pit one against the other or just to make one feel bad and inferior, just like they want YOU to feel bad and inferior. I absolutely will not allow them to do that to my children.
I will not let them drag me down to their level again
WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Postby rubycrownedkinglet » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:35 am

Melody wrote:DH was so indoctrinated that he would have our kids call FIL and especially Stepmonster on THEIR birthdays. Like WTF?, such a "treat", right?
Was that the ILs idea? How odd. I would get the kids calling to thank them for gifts, but shouldn't the family members call the birthday girl or boy to wish them a happy day?

It's so exhausting to see the games they play and to see our loved ones get dissed and dismissed. Baby steps for your DH but any improvement is good.
rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Postby Melody » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:01 pm

@Rubycrownedkinglet - Right???!! I think it must have been stepmonster's idea. It is one of the weirdest/dumbest "traditions" I've ever heard. The only thing I can think of was back when I was little grandma was on a fixed income and long-distance calls were expensive. (And if you traveled, you would call and let the phone ring twice then hang up to let them know you made it home safe - without incurring a bill). But I was never made to call her!

If the kid is having fun on THEIR birthday and maybe with FRIENDS and celebrating, why the heck should they have to stop with they are doing, pick up the phone (at one point or another ALL of my kids hated talking on the phone) and call grandma stuffed shirt to listen to grandioso LAME "stories" of the most boring nature?
Melody
Nuclear

Return to In-Laws Talk