Told you so!

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

Melody
Nuclear

Told you so!

Post by Melody » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:26 pm

So the other weekend we went to nephew's "coffee and cake" thing at DH's brother and SIL's house. This is something that lasts for under 2 1/2 hours.

DH and I arrive 20 minutes late to the bore fest and, FIL and stepmonster told BIL and SIL that they were coming. Ten minutes later BIL calls and they still say they are coming. 25 minutes later they call back to say they aren't coming. So they, or stepmonster needs to be the center of attention for an hour of this, but of course DH gives them a pass as they were "just letting BIL know". Sure.

That Monday (two days before her royal highness's b-day) stepmonster calls DH at work to go on about how her aunt just died. When I roll my eyes (he hasn't spoken to her for months) I ask DH if during her "remember HER birthday" love bom if she bothered to mention that FIL's sister died Naturally, she did not.

Stepmonster calls AGAIN, less than two weeks before Christmas to ask for the kid's "wish list". Now in the almost 17 years I've known DH, stepmonster has NEVER followed this list. In my opinon, its just busywork to get to her so that she can claim she "tried" but we didn't get things to her soon enough. Then its favortism to the extreme and dollar store and clearance bin (with NO correlation to ANY of the childrens' insterest) palooza.

DH asks me if there is a wish list we can give her. I ask him "Why? She NEVER uses it. Not even to wrap her "gifts" which she doesn't even bother to wrap. DH is annoyed and tells me, "I guess I have to do it myself". And YES it is his busy time of year at work. But F. How many years in a row do I have to waste time on this crap?

DH sends her a list almost immediately.

So he calls me today and says, "I don't want to get you going, but as soon as I sent the list, she said that she'll just give them cash.".

I LAUGHED!! In addition to pointing out - yet again - that prior lists were "lists of disappointments" for the kids. She claimed she wanted to get them something they wanted, but didn't and then they were sold out.

So I just HAD to say, "I told you so! I told you so! I told you so!". And DH actually said, "Yea! I deserved that!".

Small victory, and now the kids won't get grossly disproportionately unfair gifts, but how do I work on DH NOT forgetting this b*tch's behavior next year. Also, WTF is wrong with her?

KeeperOfPrecious
Infuriated

Re: Told you so!

Post by KeeperOfPrecious » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 am

I love that your husband starts his conversation with “I don’t want to get you going”... that right there was his acknowledgment of “i told you so” hahha..

My DH says the same thing now, but more like “we don’t need to get into a conversation about this”... it’s an amazing accomplishment when you no longer have to speak, you let all MIL’s actions do the “talking”.

My DH is still being punished for his son not visiting his Gma. DH got his bday card and it didn’t come with the check enclosed. He called and told me that he’s still being punished, he says “this is the first time she hasn’t included a birthday check”. I had to remind him, like you do with your DH, that he didn’t get a check last year either lol. He forgot that she didn’t send money, but I sure remember. I think as long as he’s married to me, he will never get another dime from mommy dearest lol

That’s perfect, it means no strings and nothing required to show appreciation for her “generosity”

The devil himself is impressed with her handiwork.

Melody
Nuclear

Re: Told you so!

Post by Melody » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:11 am

Thank you Keeper! I actually hadn't thought of it that way, lol. When DH tells me he doesn't want "to get me (you) going", I'm thinking more "set me off" I took it to mean more of a "I know you think my mother is evil, but....." type of thing where he tries to justify her crappy behavior. (And "mother" still makes me gag - there is NOTHING maternal about this woman). You know, the implication that I'm over reacting and of course the dreaded "she meant well" nonsense.

Telling him "I told you so!" felt more like a release. There was NO explanation needed as it was finally clear enough to DH.

I hate the rosy glasses they have for manipulative b*tches. Like you said, they still get credit for something they didn't even do (or did do) and have to be "reminded". Ugh!