FIL has Christmas Cancer

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

momjeans
Fuming

FIL has Christmas Cancer

Post by momjeans » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:46 pm

I want to preface this with the fact that my FIL has a plethora of health issues. Most of them minor and manageable if he follows his doctor’s recommendations (taking meds, getting exercise, eating right, etcetera).

So, FIL posted to the Book of Faces this morning that he has a case of Christmas Cancer. He went on to add that he’s been in the hospital (a VA hospital) for almost a week and that he hopes he’s let out in time for Thanksgiving, which is tomorrow and a holiday we are NOT celebrating in-person with them. Mainly because of the pandemic, but also mostly because I am hardcore no-contact, and have been for a long, long time.

He’s quite the attention-seeker, that FIL.

Funny part is... I was just talking about this last week with a close friend of mine. How miraculously none of my in-laws have come down with a case of Christmas Cancer yet. Well, here we are.

From Urban Dictionary - Christmas Cancer

“When a person, often a family member, who is highly attention seeking, makes up or exaggerates some kind of health event in proximity to a big holiday in order to create drama or put themselves in the center of plans. It is usually a vague but life-threatening illness, serious enough to cause others to drop what they're doing, but not specific enough that people will be aware of what actually ought to be happening to the person. Often after the goal is attained, the subject will let their dupes know that "the doctors found out everything was alright" - getting them off the hook for future issues.”
Not my circus, not my enmeshed flying monkeys.

PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Re: FIL has Christmas Cancer

Post by PutMILinherplace » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:46 pm

And lets not forget Birthday Cancer, Easter Cancer, and Summer Cancer.
You cant set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Post by WhyOhWhy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Priceless! My MIL pulled this this year as well, and boy did she have all of her marionettes dangling by strings. Naturally, after the fact, doctors all agreed that it wasn't that major of an illness and that she'd be fine by the holidays - where she can bustle around, having socially undistanced gatherings, and be a huge martyr who is doing oh-so-much to get ready for these feasts, pushing through such an illness to shine bright like a diamond ((cue the song)).

Wouldn't you know, we live too far for an easy drive for Thanksgiving (not that we would have done so anyway because COVID). I imagine she'll be right as rain just in time for Christmas as well.
*** The North Remembers ***

PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Post by PutMILinherplace » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:34 pm

And now I think we will also see a rise in Christmas Covid
You cant set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Haven't heard that term before - but it's a good one. DH's Stepmonster (notice the trend that its almost always the same person who is the problem) used to just dish out guilt trips for Christmas. She saves getting "deathly sick" - like fake throat cancer - when she's run out of other options (like other relatives who are "dying with no hope of recovery" - AGAIN) - at any time of the year.

I so don't get this. A few years back, I had to have emergency surgery. I begged DH NOT to tell anyone that would get back to stepmonster. He did tell his paaaaaarents, but only the briefest of details along with "She's fine and has all the help she needs. Do NOT call".

But the awesome part was, it was only a few days before Christmas, and we missed the sh*t fest! I did explain to DH's and my favorite cousin that I just wasn't up to travel to her. And she got it.

My regular doctor was hilarious. She asked me about the holidays and I said they were GREAT because I didn't have to see the in-laws! She totally got it and listed off body parts that you could still live with out to get through the holidays going forward.

@PutMILinHerPlace - I'm not sure if I agree with that. While real Covid cases are likely to rise, fake ones won't get the visit the attention seekers want.

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:58 am

I always get the opposite, I-wanna-stay-home-itis!

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:39 am

Gotta share this! Its been suspiciously quiet for weeks now. But about a half hour ago, two days before Christmas Eve (the day the PIL's care about), I wake up to DH talking on the phone downstairs. When I ask him, "What was that all about"?

"FIL called and said that "Christmas is Cancelled!" Mom (stepmonster) is in the hospital!". As I get ready to eyeroll, DH tells me that "He made it sound like it was an emergency and that I might have to rush up their to say goodbye. - I know that you (Melody) would be happy to, or just stay home to get ready to dance on her grave."

"It turns out its just a routine thing that was too much for the home care nurse, so she might have to stay in for a few days. Stepmonster had made a big deal out of asking for the kids wish lists back around Thanksgiving. But now she's going on and on about some spa they like. As if spas are open! Must be the drugs" That and my dad was surprised I'm getting home so late - like I have this time of year at my job for the last 25 years. That and we were going to be staying home with our large family on Christmas. I told my dad we were video chatting with other relatives, but he didn't seem interested"

DH then changed the subject when I said, "yep, over 25 years of "Christmas is here" as if its the ONLY place it takes place. I was waiting for the drama this year and the stupid excuses why they didn't get the kids anything."