MIL sighting - in MY neighborhood

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

momjeans
Fuming

MIL sighting - in MY neighborhood

Post by momjeans » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:19 pm

I mostly work-from-home these days, but physically go into work a couple days a week to finish and turn in paperwork.

Fridays are one of the days I consistently go in.

Well, on my way home yesterday, I spot MIL driving through an intersection with a stoplight that’s 3 very short blocks away from our home. Where we live, there’s literally no reason she’d be over this way - especially coming from the direction she was coming, unless she was just driving around for funsies to see if there’s another covert way to do a quick drive by to “check in” on us.

It rubbed me the wrong way something fierce. They (her and FIL) get super desperate for contact around the holidays. And, well, I’ve rather enjoyed these last 9 months of strict no contact and would prefer to not break it. It’s also nice to live in a home, for once, that my in-laws have yet to step foot in. I’m sure it’s driving them absolutely insane, though, and it brings me happiness to know they’re absolutely NOT getting their own way - for once.

I just can’t with these people. LOL
Not my circus, not my enmeshed flying monkeys.

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Re: MIL sighting - in MY neighborhood

Post by WhyOhWhy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Wheeeeee! It does certainly seem as though you're being "checked in" upon. Stand firm on the boundaries! I have to say, I'm glad it's not so easy for my IL's to just be "in the neighborhood".
*** The North Remembers ***

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Re: MIL sighting - in MY neighborhood

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Jeez, momjeans, I remember the feeling! I got a shot of adrenaline and a chill like I'd seen a ghost.

Shortly after the final cutoff with the DH's ESIBS, I did a huge double-take when I saw a vehicle just like EBILs POS rebel-yell pickem' up truck. It was too far away for me to see the license plate or I would've known for sure. It was just sitting at the end of my street, not in front of anyone's house. It appeared to be running, but I couldn't see anyone inside. I was walking my big dog, but didn't feel safe enough to approach it, so I turned around and went back home. By the time I got in my car and decided to drive the other way around the block to look from a discreet distance, the truck was gone. I'll never know if it was him or not.

I'd say about your MIL, 'Tis the season.' While it is unsettling that she would try to reach out after nine lovely months, at least you have the evidence she's so sneaky as to do a drive-by, like a teen on a bike. Obviously the cut off is not as happy for her as it is for you.

TBH, the only retribution I felt we got regarding ESIL and EBIL was knowing our cut off rankled them so very much. By continuing to reach out and to criticize and complain about our decision, they provided us with that information without realizing how satisfying it would be.