Thank You Again, Quarantine

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Thank You Again, Quarantine

Post by WhyOhWhy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:51 am

I want to preface this post by saying that 2020 has been a shitty year thanks to COVID. We all know someone who's been sick with (or even died from) COVID.

Having said that, the one positive from this quarantine is not seeing my in-laws this year (YAY!!!). Christmas via zoom call can be a rather abbreviated affair, after which we can truly enjoy our holiday without dealing with their crap.

The stupid comments still happen these days of course, because isn't the holidays the best time to get in their little digs? It would be hurtful if we didn't realize that it comes from a place of deep unhappiness, bitterness, insecurity and misery on their parts.

Happy Holidays, everyone! I hope you're also able to avoid in-person contact with your in-laws this year!
*** The North Remembers ***

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Re: Thank You Again, Quarantine

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:37 am

Just last Saturday, I had my monthly Facetime call with my bestie. Of the many things we talked about, the subject of her ILs came up and she admitted, somewhat guiltily, how relieved she was that they had a legitimate excuse not to see them for the last year.

The part that sort of surprised me was that her DH, who is my husband's bestie, agreed. It was one of those cases where they both agree that her FIL is just an Evil, but her good Southern boy husband wouldn't normally have agreed that not seeing him is a wonderful boon to enjoy in the middle of what is otherwise a terrible time. The kicker is that EFIL doesn't like to talk on the phone and has refused to take part in any video call. If they want to talk to him, they have to show up. Her MIL isn't so bad, as a matter of fact I actually really like her, but the Evil of the FIL overrides her sweetness every time. She will call and talk while he is napping.

The veil has been pierced and it has been acknowledged by all that EFIL's tactics of refusing to talk on the phone so that Bestie and her DH would sacrifice make the 3 hour trip to visit, despite all travel warnings, is just pure manipulation. That makes it easier to not feel so guilty, right? :wink: