My FIL finally died

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

willthetruthbetold

My FIL finally died

Post by willthetruthbetold » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:52 am

My FIL was the meanest, rudest and cruelest person that I've ever met. He died a few weeks ago after living a long but wasted life. No one misses him, no one is sad and even his favorite family members -my Golden SIL and her son- don't care.
All GSIL wants is FIL's estate.
FIL was the worst son, husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather possible. His entire life was lived as a lie trying to cover up his spectacular but complete lack of any accomplishments. He enjoyed pretending that he was a doctor, professor, attorney, military hero or successful businessman and would try to impress random strangers. DH once took our family (our DD, DS and their spouses) to a nice restaurant and winery for my birthday. MIL and FIL heard about it and insisted that they come with us. FIL seated himself at the end of the table and loudly proclaimed to the people at the other tables that he was the owner of the place. We all gasped with horror and embarrassment. Despite everyone but MIL telling him to stop, FIL relentlessly kept on with his little game even though the waitstaff tried to tone him down. Just as I was ready to declare that it wasn't a fun birthday dinner and I was leaving, a sweet elderly man ambled past our table and greeted us. FIL tipped his chair on its two back legs and balanced there like a rude schoolboy, snickered at the man and announced that the man better be nice to him because he was the "...owner of this joint." The man stopped abruptly and turned to FIL and said, "Really? Because I'M actually the owner!" He pointed to his sweater which was emblazoned with the logo of the winery. FIL nearly fell off of his chair, which he quickly slammed back down to the ground. We all laughed at FIL. I think if we hadn't, the owner would have thrown us all out but I think seeing FIL being caught like that was enough. Later when the waitsperson approached with the bill, FIL suddenly had to go to the bathroom to avoid paying even one penny of the expensive dinner he had wolfed down. He didn't realize that we could see him, but instead of going to the bathroom, FIL wandered through all the tables acting like he was the owner again and was making comments to the diners, probably just to get the owner back. I've had numerous similar experiences with FIL like this.
FIL was lazy, never learned to read and write, dropped out of high school the minute he turned 16 and then couldn't get a full-time, permanent job during WWII when every able-bodied man was either in the military or in an important industry. FIL concocted at least a half dozen lies to explain himself years later when the shame of being a WWII draft dodger couldn't be shaken off. The reality was that he lived with his sister and her young family, slept on her couch, ate her food, partied and traveled around looking for women. He met MIL who was hitchhiking alongside a road in a bathing suit. He thought she was easy; she was thrilled that a man noticed her. They were married weeks later, but even that was a lie because they kept it quiet and had a big wedding months after that. I found out about that lie when I was doing DH's family tree and got a copy of their marriage license. DH asked FIL about it who yelled that I was lying. His angry accusations would continue through the years as I uncovered truths one by one including that he had at least 3 birth certificates, 7 names, that he had thrown his half-sister out of their house when she was 16 making her immediately homeless and became the victim of male relatives who abused and impregnated her. FIL would not listen to her pleas. She died at a young age.
MIL quickly learned that FIL had conned her into a bad marriage with no money, no good job and no prospects. He jumped from one low-paying job to another, and they had to live off her her relatives' charity. One of her relatives owned apartment buildings and allowed them to live rent-free in one of them. FIL kept promising to start paying for it but never did. On top of that, MIL and FIL's loud fights disturbed the other tenants and when FIL continued not to pay for the apartment, the relative evicted them. FIL responded by stripping everything of value out of the apartment. The relative sued MIL and FIL and won. FIL conned a man into going into business with him in another state and dragged MIL a couple of thousand miles to live in a shack in a dangerous part of town. The business failed and MIL told FIL she was going to leave him. He followed her back to their old city and had to drain MIL's parents of money in order for them to stay afloat. FIL stole MIL's parents' car and sold it. MIL had three children in quick succession. FIL refused to ever wear a wedding ring and hung out with other women. FIL told MIL that he was working 6 or 7 days a week and only came home long enough to eat, shower and fall into bed. He did nothing with his children, except hit them and yell at them. They lived in a studio apartment. MIL decided that she couldn't watch the children and made her mother take care of them and feed them. They children wore rags given to them by other people. DH and his sisters played in the alleys and streets, coming home only at dinnertime. Other mothers in the neighborhood kept stepping in to feed and raise them. FIL would take MIL out on dates where they crashed weddings and other events to eat, drink and dance while DH and his siblings sat home alone all night and ate cheap food, and not enough of it. FIL would hit his kids if they made any noise in their tiny apartment when he tried to watch TV. He brought home a dog and he beat it. When it peed out of fright, FIL took it to the pound where it didn't have a chance after he told them that he "...couldn't housebreak it."
This is part one. I will write more. Many of you have read my stories before. FIL's passing was predictable, with GSIL's ugly role not surprising.
Thank you for reading.

rubycrownedkinglet
Nuclear

Re: My FIL finally died

Post by rubycrownedkinglet » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:53 pm

First let me say the obvious: Ding Dong, the old bitch is dead!
Pretend like I wrote condolences, but we both know that congratulations are much more in order. Time to don the red dress and do the dance.
Even if you are spared a funeral, thank God, at least a little celebration is warranted.

Your FIL holds a prized position in the annals of shitty people. As bad as my ILs were, they were more selfish and stupid than truly EVIL. Your FIL certainly was EVIL. It's a miracle your DH made it out alive, yet I know he has his scars. Hopefully with the head vampire dead, the victims will be able to go on with life.

No one will miss the stinking reprobate, and I'm sure GSIL is thrilled to finally get her hands on the last of the loot, if there's any left.

Do tell what GSIL has been up to!

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:43 pm

What's the opposite of "Heaven Gained an Angel"? Satan's latest side-kick? What a dirtbag! I'm sorry DH had to live through having him as a "father". And I'm sorry you had to deal with him as well.

Its people like him that ruin good people's trust and make the world a worse and more cynical place even outside of his immediate impact.

Is DH finding closure? And yes please do tell what GSIL has been up to!

willthetruthbetold

Post by willthetruthbetold » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:09 pm

RubyCrownedKinglet- Thank you! I actually sang that song in my head when I heard the news I actually don't know which of DH and his siblings were happiest at FIL's passing. It involved a lot of drama so DH was relieved that it (mostly) has ended. Nice-SIL who was abused in many ways is glad that FIL's cruelty has stopped for the first time in her life. Golden SIL was so excited to finally get unfettered access to FIL's assets that she wrote checks to herself and family members before FIL was even dead. She never planned that he would live this long and after having compromised her integrity and family connections solely over MIL and FIL's estate, she has burst forth out of the starting gates like a rocket was strapped to her expansive ass.
Melody- The devil must have finally prepared a special place in hell for FIL... it sure took long enough... and I hope that FIL has a chance to see all the sadness, anger, fear and pain that he caused during his life. It's interesting that after FIL passed away, the world got terribly disrupted with people at odds with each other in a way that FIL would have enjoyed. It's like there was a crack in the universe.
I'm probably going to jump around to different time periods in FIL's life as I post. I will skip to the part that GSIL played because RubyCrownedKinglet and Melody asked me to. :D
About 15 years ago, MIL and FIL sold the house that they lived in and moved to a condo because they couldn't get anyone to take care of it when they were traveling all over the world or staying 4 months at at time at a resort near where we live. GSIL and Pervert-BIL refused to help them with their house because they were envious of MIL and FIL's jet-setting lifestyle. GSIL said that she wanted MIL and FIL to buy her two-week vacations at "no less than a 5-star hotel." Since MIL and FIL were already spending a lot of money on GSIL, they refused until she lost a lot of weight. As MIL told me, they were tired of spending many $ thousands on spas, gyms, diet systems and equipment on her. Besides, MIL and FIL had also bought GSIL and P-BIL a house, several cars, expensive house upgrades, bailed them out of deep debt several times and had sent GSIL's DD and DS to expensive private schools. MIL and FIL made a really bad real estate investment in a rundown condo that they lived in when they weren't flying or cruising all over the planet. After a couple of years, the condo lost 85% of its value. People were basically selling their units for whatever anyone would pay. I am certain that a lot of it had to do with MIL -and especially FIL's- behavior. They would stand around in the lobby for hours, with FIL commenting on how fat the women were, or MIL posing with her fake breasts puffed out, or FIL stealing the other resident's newspapers because he was too cheap to buy a subscription himself, or MIL cackling and shrieking in feigned hilarity when she criticized residents for using walkers or having medical issues. FIL was also trying to romance some of the widows in the building which got a lot easier as MIL's senile dementia progressed. GSIL refused to acknowledge that her parents' condo was in terrible shape, filthy and falling apart. She also refused to recognize that MIL could no longer clean, shop, cook or even take care of her personal hygiene. FIL was getting increasingly agitated with taking care of MIL but refused to let nice-SIL or DH help or even know what was happening. MIL and FIL only wanted GSIL to be around them because she was the favorite, The Golden and the one who was interested in helping them with their finances... and of course all of you know why. GSIL looked the other way when MIL started having serious medical issues. The minute that MIL died, GSIL stepped in and got control of FIL's bank accounts and conned him into giving her half of the condo, the title to his car, power of attorney and executor of his estate. She started skimming money out of the bank accounts, would complain that she was broke to people, sell off some of FIL's assets and then suddenly pay cash for a new car. Then another. GSIL had $ hundreds of thousands of work done to her plain home, the worst property in the neighborhood which then turned into the one with all the extras. GSIL's grown DD and DS benefitted too, with GSIL writing large checks to them as "gifts" from FIL every few months. When FIL started having trouble living by himself and after he took a few trips to the ER in an ambulance, I told DH and nice-SIL that FIL should go to an assistive care facility before he burned up his building or hurt someone by his negligence (or stupidity). GSIL fought this idea tooth and nail because she didn't want FIL to spend his money on himself. She wanted every penny. In fact, she said that she wanted his entire estate and had zero plans on distributing it in accordance with FIL's will. A lot of drama ensued. GSIL tried to put FIL on a plane to come visit us under pretext that he wanted to see his great-grandchildren, even though he never even made as much as a phone call to our DD or DS. GSIL intended to buy him a one-way ticket and then just leave him here with us. She had already lined up contractors to gut and renovate "her" condo, the one that she owned with FIL. She was just going to send him off and then take it over for herself, spending his money on *her* property. FIL was eventually convinced to go to an assistive care facility, despite sabotage by GSIL, especially after he got deathly ill and no one discovered him for a couple of days. GSIL had known that he was sick and had *forgotten* to check up on him. Nice-SIL went to FIL's condo and discovered him out of his mind, covered in urine and severely dehydrated from high fever. The hospital may have had something to do with FIL going to the new facility after the staff realized that FIL couldn't be allowed to live on his own. When he made the move, GSIL was right there going through every single thing that he owned. She hauled off cartons and boxes of items. She had already taken all of MIL's jewelry, watches, furs and art but there were a few more items of value. She refused to get FIL set up with regular checks by the staff, saying that she didn't want to pay for such services, yet she didn't check up on him regularly, either. In the meantime, she made sure that FIL developed anger and bitterness toward nice-SIL and DH. He was gradually cut off from other people, not only by GSIL's manipulations, but by his own nastiness and vicious comments. Not one person in his extended family wanted contact with him. FIL complained bitterly that no one called him, so Nice-SIL arranged to call his extended family so that he could talk to them. Every one of them refused to answer the phone. FIL was busy alienating everyone in his residence, too, including the staff. Even before the COVID shutdowns, people would see FIL coming and duck into their rooms and shut their doors. People avoided him in the outdoor courtyard. No one sat with him in the dining room. They didn't want to hear his rude comments about their weight, or their appearance, or how great of a doctor, or lawyer or military man he pretended he was. I wonder how old FIL got before he stopped grabbing women's butts, if he ever even stopped. FIL never called DH, even for his birthday, and when DH called him, FIL didn't answer most of the time. After the lockdowns, FIL would escape out of the facility and go shopping without a mask or gloves, then sneak back in. When caught, he said that he didn't care what happened to the staff or other residents. GSIL kept writing checks, kept spending FIL's money and started living a much better lifestyle. FIL never acknowledged the birth of my DD's children, his great-grandchildren. He didn't even know any of my DD's or DS's names. At one point, DH tried to get FIL to reconcile with me but GSIL sabotaged his efforts. FIL started getting angry and depressed after he was put in quarantine for sneaking out. He started telling nice-SIL that he was going to die soon. Nice-SIL tried to convince GSIL to talk to the staff about it, but GSIL refused. Nice-SIL talked to the staff herself, even though she had no legal authority and they started checking up on FIL even though no one was paying for it. FIL had someone block his phone so no one but GSIL, nice-SIL and DH could call him, then he kept telling Nice-SIL that he was going to die. When I heard about this, I told DH that I considered it a plea for help, maybe something more serious. GSIL refused to believe it and said that I was being overdramatic and basically that I should mind my own business. GSIL had stopped visiting or calling FIL regularly, and ignored the signs of FIL's obvious depression. I must be obscure here: FIL then did things to make himself very ill which led to irreversible damage. I had a feeling something was wrong and begged DH to call FIL. He did, and FIL was in very serious condition, all alone, no staff could contact him by phone which was all they were allowed to do. I heard DH's phone call with FIL and insisted that DH contact the staff and get FIL some help immediately. I said that he should be in a hospital. DH had to go through GSIL because she had the contact information, but she took her time. To me, it was obvious that she wanted FIL to just expire. She didn't care. Eventually, the staff was able to get into FIL's room where they were shocked at his condition. FIL went to the ER by ambulance and then to the ICU where he begged to see GSIL. He didn't want to talk to Nice-SIL or DH or even leave them a message. GSIL reluctantly went to see him, then reported to Nice-SIL that he didn't have long to live. Despite FIL begging GSIL to be with him at the end, she cold heartedly refused to. FIL was also in intense pain, which GSIL reported to Nice-SIL, who told DH. GSIL refused to talk to DH, probably because he was giving advice on how to help FIL when she didn't want him to have help. When I heard about FIL's pain, I insisted that DH arrange for palliative care no matter what it took. I didn't like FIL, but I will NOT let any animal or person suffer! DH had to get Nice-SIL to team up with him to force GSIL to get pain relief for FIL. I told them that FIL should be in hospice, but GSIL went ballistic and said that it was too expensive and that he didn't need it. Here I was, just like with MIL, when I seemed to be the only person in the world that cared about the last days of life for them. DH was frozen in uncertainty, Nice-SIL couldn't understand what the truth was because GSIL was lying to her and GSIL just wanted FIL to die already. In the end, FIL got some palliative care and left this world in a manner that he had created for himself. He had been upset when he talked to DH because he had no religion or faith to comfort him. I could have helped him in the last years to try to find some spirituality, but he had decided that he would never reconcile with me. A few months ago, FIL was mocking Christians and tried to force DH to say that he would reject it. FIL didn't want any relationship with God or any other such concept, and so at the end was almost frantic, telling DH that he didn't know what was going to happen to him when he died.
Once, after FIL had been particularly mean to me and my grown children, I asked him, "Why are you talking like that? Is this the way that you want to be remembered?" FIL answered with a rude, forceful, "Yes!"
So in the end, FIL got just what he wanted- He will be remembered as a rude, cruel, heartless psychopath and who died fearing what would happen to his soul.
Thank you for reading this very long entry.

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Post by WhyOhWhy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:27 am

One could only imagine the huge sense of relief you must be feeling that such an awful individual has finally been dragged back to hell. I hope your husband isn't dealing with too many mixed feelings, since I'm sure his father's passing has stirred up feelings about how he was raised and how terrible his father is. Extra hugs for him as he works through a lifetime of trauma, but may he quickly be able to heal and bury all of it soon.
*** The North Remembers ***

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:42 am

The irony and karma are just incredible here. FIL chose the child most like himself and no matter how much of the material world they could lie, cheat and steal to obtain it sounds like he couldn't have been more miserable. And GSIL continues, will have to live with the guilt (if she has any - she seems to have inherited FIL's lack of moral compass), and will probably never be happy.

May DH, you and good SIL enjoy the freedom and relief!

miwako
Nuclear

Post by miwako » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkq7WZTzkLQ

Finally! I have to wonder how many minutes will pass between when GSIL rolls him into a ditch and when she finishes spending the last of his money. Given that you first posted this 3 days ago, chances are good it happened already.

Queenof3
Angry

Post by Queenof3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Mazel tov. May my EFIL soon follow.
I have followed your story from the beginning, and all I can say is...may you finally LIVE IN PEACE. (I know that GSIL will still be around 🙄) I am so happy for you because that man will never be able to hurt another person again.
You've mentioned your DH as slipping into moments where he talks to you the way FIL talked to MIL. I hope he eventually breaks & gets some counseling.
I hope you can finally rest and fully enjoy the blessings of your own family. Your children. Your grandchildren. Your friends. Peace, my friend.
As a hospice nurse, I've seen a few people die that way. It's pretty awful.

WatchingMyBack
Nuclear

Post by WatchingMyBack » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Such a relief, isn't it? That's how I felt when MIL passed.

I read the first few sentences of your post (I haven't been on for a while -- dealing with a Cancer issue myself these last 2 years) and saw DH 100%. Horrible, hateful, hatefilled people who have zero appreciation for the wonderful people they have been blessed to have in their lives.

GOOD RIDDANCE!
“Make no judgments where you have no compassion.”

Queenof3
Angry

Post by Queenof3 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:07 am

He used my (wonderful & kind) late husband's death to terrorize me for YEARS that he was "going to take my children away from me". The children (all boys) that he never met because HIS OWN SON knew about his, um, predilection for, um, YOUNG boys. Never touched his son, but after breaking up his marriage "to be free to be his authentic self", he descended down into a very sick fascination with barely legal men- "the younger, the better".
This man hated me with a passion because I got his son into therapy. His son went NC after processing his father's life-long cruelty. Then he died. My beautiful, brainy husband DIED without ever hearing one word of affirmation or love from his sperm donor.
This (can't call him a man) wanted my 7, 8, and 10 year old children for one purpose and one purpose only. To hurt me by hurting THEM. And had the money to do it.
I nearly lost our home fighting him. But I WON, got a restraining order, and my sons (now grown) never knew him. He waited till the youngest was 18 and attempted to contact him through the book of faces. The three of them told him to fuck off.
I googled him every once in a while and found out last night he died in January. No service,, no eulogies on his obit page from ANYONE. (hmmmmm)
After 14 years I can finally breathe. I hope WTTBT sees this, because she KNOWS what this means to our family.

willthetruthbetold

Post by willthetruthbetold » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:37 am

Hello, I'm finally back on after one of my close relatives was very ill and died. It was a long battle. I might post about this later, but right now just focusing on the death of my FIL and my Golden SIL's actions.
WhyOhWhy- My DH has been mostly quiet about his father but deep inside harbors great resentment and disappointment. He told our grown son, "Your grandfather was an a$$hole." My nice-SIL has been saying the same thing.
Melody- You're right, my GSIL is/was a lot like FIL with her obsession with money, cruelty to others, lack of empathy or moral compass and she has been apparently unhappy with everything. She has developed a deep jealousy of her sister, my Nice-SIL and grouses about how terrible her life is, even after inheriting most of FIL's estate.
Miwako- The video looks a lot like the party that we had when we heard that FIL was gone. :D Seriously though, you had the right idea that GSIL was going to spend the money very quickly. From what I've heard, she has been having a lot of elective and cosmetic surgeries done, including an entire mouth of specialty dentistry. She continues to get her food as takeout from restaurants, and doesn't cook.
Queenof3- That's horrible, and I don't even have the words to describe my horror at reading what you wrote regarding your FIL and children. It's terrible to have a pervert in-law that you have to protect your children, and yourself, from for even a millisecond, and the absurdity of having to fight to stay away from them. I'm glad that you're free from him.
Update on GSIL: She took ostensibly 3 months to get a death certificate, but she has not given DH or Nice-SIL a copy even now and it's been about a half a year. Why? What is she hiding? DH found out recently that GSIL talked FIL into taking DH's name off of a LOT of assets that DH was originally going to inherit and gave those to herself. She is the executor of FIL's will and the trustee of his trust. She STILL hasn't distributed the parts of FIL's estate that was supposed to be distributed to the beneficiaries. I'm pretty sure that things are being siphoned off. DH is baffled and I have to keep explaining to him that GSIL is dishonest and FIL was mean. DH is so mixed up about his family that he said that he was going to keep most of FIL's money in a separate account and make sure that Nice-SIL was taken care of in her old age since she is single, and even give some of the money to GSIL's grown children. I asked DH why he would give anything to GSIL's family, because they have already been the recipients of lifelong gifts from MIL and FIL (their grandparents), and nothing was ever given to our own DS and DD. Interestingly, DH had reflexively put GSIL's children over his own... something that I thought he'd stopped doing a decade ago. It's even stranger now because GSIL has siphoned off thousands of dollars already from the pre-disbursed estate to her daughter, the fetching Felony-Niece. So the drama goes on.

Queenof3
Angry

Post by Queenof3 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:13 am

Sweet WTTBT,

I'm so sorry for your loss, and that you had to deal with your GSIL's shenanigans at the same time. May your loved one's memory comfort you. (((hugs)))

We're free, my dear.

CantstandmyILs
Fuming

Post by CantstandmyILs » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:18 pm

Sorry for your loss.

willthetruthbetold

Post by willthetruthbetold » Fri May 07, 2021 7:57 am

Thank you, Queenof3 and CantStandMyILs!
DH just found out that his horrid sister, my Golden SIL, managed to get FIL to change the title to about 1/3 of what he was giving DH over to herself, and did it just before FIL died. In other words, GSIL got FIL to give her 1/3 of DH's inheritance. GSIL didn't say a word about this to DH, and neither did FIL. I had a feeling something was wrong, so I told DH to check his bank account. DH, the ever optimistic person, said that he was certain that everything was OK, and that the money should all be in there. He was shocked and saddened that FIL was able to give one last FU to him, and was too cowardly to even tell him.
GSIL didn't say a word about it, either. DH and I don't need the money, and he would have just used it to support nice-SIL, his sister. In fact, we have been helping support nice-SIL for almost a year now. She's an old and single woman with some health issues. FIL's money would have offset some of the costs. It would have been nice if FIL had treated all three of his children the same for just once.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Fri May 07, 2021 8:43 am

Well that's sh*tty! I understand your sentiment about not needing the money, but it might be worth it to have a consult with an attorney.

A number of years ago, a relative passed and the vultures swooped in to make sure my siblings and I did not get a thing. Ironically this was because our mother passed when we were kids, but my siblings and I worked together and didn't fight about anything.

Since the time our mother died, I've been an executrix entirely too many times and my sister is a paralegal. We both agreed we weren't going to fight the vultures, BUT my sister felt strongly about not making it easy for them.

When I was served with paperwork to sign, my sister correctly advised me to NOT SIGN IT, to be a non response/no show. She and our brother did the same. So it had to go to court at the vultures' expense while we did nothing but console each other that money was far more important to them then nieces and a nephew that were orphaned. Hope they had fun clawing each other's eyes out.

Meanwhile, most of them are gone and one of the younger ones that now has no family recently tried to connect with my sister through Ancestry.com. If there was a middle finger emoji on the keyboard, my sister might still be leaning on it, lol.

Sorry for the ramble, but it might be worthwhile to do a consult, because the new will may not even be valid and then you can help out SIL. Just a thought.