Christmas 2020 - The continuing Saga

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

Melody
Nuclear

Christmas 2020 - The continuing Saga

Post by Melody » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:37 am

As a recap, Stepmonster harasses us (every freakin’ year) for the kids “wish lists” back before Thanksgiving, only not to use it. Oh, and stepmonster says she wants a gift certificate to a Spa she likes. Then two days before the holiday, we get a call from FIL that “Christmas is cancelled!”. “MOM is in the hospital!”

First off, “mom” is always running to the hospital for what was referred to in another post as “Christmas Cancer”, not usually for the holidays, but just when she wants attention. Of course its just for the usual stuff (sores that won’t heal because she’s a prescription and illicit drug addict). Second, after years of running to accommodate THEIR schedule, DH had FINALLY stopped putting their needs before our family’s including the fact that stepmonster STILL hasn’t learned that DH WORKS when she wants us to come running. And NO, I will not drag my family up to them without him when we always get treated so poorly.

So, this weekend DH’s father finally sent money for the holidays. I ask him if at this point this was for 2020 or 2021. DH THEN sends them a gift (not a spa certificate but a phone to replace their house phone that doesn’t work). I hate that he does this at all, but he tells me that “See! I’m not playing their game! Note I only bought something AFTER they sent money!”.

There are no instructions on how to distribute the money, and FIL and Stepmonster are always unfair with the kids. So, DH then proceeds to give all six of us equal amounts. I look at him when he hands ME an equal share, and I say, “I guess there’s a first time for everything!” And then he’s amused and laugh because I tell him that by, he and I taking a share, I’m less annoyed he bought them a gift.

The nonsense hasn’t stopped, but at least it has become more amusing.

P.S. We then find out through BIL that after “mom” aka stepmonster went to the hospital, they tested her, and surprise, she has COVID. So, the stupid beotch who has NO REASON to be going out at all and runs around all of the place including “the spa” now has COVID. Of COURSE she gets a mild case, but I wonder how many people she’s infected. Meanwhile FIL can’t be bothered to get tested.

Happy 2021!

PutMILinherplace
Enraged

Re: Christmas 2020 - The continuing Saga

Post by PutMILinherplace » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:56 pm

I keep saying, "you cant change another person's behavior, only your response to it. "

When I started treating my interactions with MIL as a game, it got funnier and she got madder. When my DH finally started dealing with his narcissistic, controlling boss & coworker as though he was playing a game, his blood pressure went way down, they started getting mad because they couldn't control him or predict what he was doing and it just frustrates them to no end.
You cant set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:26 am

Thank you PutMILinHerPlace. You're right, but it still bothers me so much that not only can't they be civil and do the minimum that any "normal" grandparents would do, they seem to actively try to destroy anything pleasant and work overtime to appear to be "victims".

And you're right, that won't ever change - and there is years of proof.

So thank you, and I see more of DH's point. As much as I want to be NC, he did turn their incessant, "You don't call enough" into LITERALLY "The phone works both ways and we ALL know it! P.S. ILs you always demand thank you notes and gushing thank yous! How about making those new house phones work and do the same!" LOL!

WhyOhWhy
Fuming

Post by WhyOhWhy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:46 pm

PutMILinherplace wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:56 pm
I keep saying, "you cant change another person's behavior, only your response to it. "

When I started treating my interactions with MIL as a game, it got funnier and she got madder.
PMILIHP, same here! Once I realized that my IL's got SO upset just to see my face and/or hear my voice, it was game on. I couldn't care less about seeing their faces or hearing their voices (although of course I'm happier when I don't), so I get great pleasure in watching them squirm (or in my FIL's case, his face will squinch up and he'll get all red in the face). I now take great delight in knowing I upset them way more than they upset me.
*** The North Remembers ***