Getting to Know You

Talk about anything and everything in-law related.

Moderators: Phred, meimei, willthetruthbetold

dumpling
Annoyed

Re: Getting to Know You

Post by dumpling » Wed May 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Years with significant other: married 25 years this July '13 (yup, that will be the silver anniversary), together for 31
kids: 2, one DD, graduated college last year, one DS, will graduate college this June
most hated in law: MIL, of course (even the rest of her family hate her)
worst gift: Back in December '03, she gave me an Ultimate Chopper for my bday-this was an as seen on TV product marketed in the early 2000's. And it came with a free knife. You can google for more information-hehehe---. I love to cook, and made sure my kitchen is well equipped with the things I really need-working in a store that sold kitchen items made this easy since I got a good discount. So as I was unwrapping the box, I thought why the hell would she buy this-she has seen my kitchen and the stuff I have there. Nevertheless, I still accepted it gracefully, thanked her, put the thing in my cupboard, and have donated it since. I found after Christmas that all the rest of DH sisters and all the DIL's received the same useless gift. I think it set back MIL a total of about $1600.

abbi17

Post by abbi17 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:16 pm

My name is Abbi, I'm glad I stumbled upon this site. It feels so good to vent and read about others experiences with their ILs. Makes me feel a little less alone.

Years with Significant Other: Four, Just married
Most Hated IL: Definitely the MIL. She's really the only one I HATE!
Worst Gift Received from IL: Matching footy pajamas for me and DH, hello, we were turning 21 not 2!

TealHeels23
Fuming

Post by TealHeels23 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:02 pm

So glad to be on this site - it makes me feel like I have a safe place to vent.

Years with Significant Other: 3.5, married for five months
Number of Children: 1 cat & 1 dog
Most Hated IL: Definitely MIL, followed closely by BIL
Worst Gift Received from IL: Definitely the lack of wedding gift from MIL. C'mon, you can't even write a card?
Last edited by TealHeels23 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WifeII
Annoyed

Post by WifeII » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Years with significant other: Together 10, married almost 6.

Number of children: I have one 22 yr old son from a previous relationship. He has 2 sons, 23 & 24, from his first marriage

Most hated Inlaw: BIL hands down. He took sides with DH's ex-wife. Ex-wife and BIL's wife have been BFFs since junior high.

squid
Angry

Post by squid » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 am

Years with Significant Other: going on 3

Number of Children: Step-son 5, Step-daughter 7, Daughter from my prev. marriage age 12, our baby son is 14 mos. We have the skids 50/50 (split weeks, every other w.e.) and my daughter is here 5/7. Baby is always here, of course.

Most Hated IL: It's a tie between A-hole Aunt and Psycho Sister.

Worst Gift Received from IL: Elderly Family Matriarch asked me to email a family Christmas list to A-hole Aunt last year as A-hole does all of Matriarch's shopping for her. A-hole Aunt hates me, however. So I made sure my list was SPARSE, and specific. I was like "for me, just a little box of chocolates. I like fancy, salty candies, like See's, in particular." A-hole picked out a stack of like 20 Hershey's bars for me. HAHAHA!! It was actually hilarious. I gave them to my daughter, whom A-hole bought no candy for, while she showered the skids with candies. Ugh!

blima0117
Annoyed

Post by blima0117 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Years with significant other:3

Number of children: None for now (in the process of trying)

Most hated IL: The lying, back stabbing, back talking, spoiled, opinionated, thieving SIL

Worst gift received from IL: It's got to be a toss up between this pewter Renaissance couple wedding set stuff from the to be MIL before marriage was even a topic between the DF and I and an oh so thoughtful gift card to dominoes pizza for Christmas from aforementioned SIL.

MadCatLady
Fuming

Post by MadCatLady » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 am

Hi everybody,

I'm a long-time lurker, and I have to say this website has really got me thru the bad times :D

Years with significant other: 20

Number of children: 1

Most hated IL: The MIL

Worst Present received from IL: oh, there have been so many........ and even one Christmas where I got nothing at all. But the worst one probably has to be the 30 year old box of used crayons.

thorninmyheel
Annoyed

Post by thorninmyheel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Hello all.

I'm 40 year old woman

Married to a great man for 17 years been together 20 in all.

I have 4 great kids

Mil been nasty from day one,caused a lot of problems and heartache over the years.

I try to live drama free as much as possible.

thanksfornothing
Annoyed

Post by thanksfornothing » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Years with significant other: Married for just over one year, together 8.5 years total.

Number of children: 3

Most hated IL: MIL & FIL. They're the most self-serving and lazy people I have ever met in my life.

I try over and over to improve myself hoping it will somehow change my attitude towards them, but there simply is no way to do anymore than I already am. Looking forward to talking to people who feel my pain.

GirlOnTheRun
Annoyed

Post by GirlOnTheRun » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:20 am

Years With Significant Other : 3 . Married 2 years ago

Children : None ( Dont plan on having any either .. We are one happy pet loving couple and prefer it that way :lol: )

Most Hated IL : MIL, BIL and his wife and her maternal family.

BEST Present Ever Received : I'd like to alter it to BEST coz they have never given me anything so I cant call anything bad. But the best gift I could get as a wedding present was a dowry demand by My BIL's wife and her mother just three days prior to our wedding. Needless to say I called off the wedding. But DH intervened and yeah we loved each other so we walked past the unpleasantness and got married anyway. It was the best eye opener for me to see their true colors right before I stepped in to this house.

DiggeryDoo
Annoyed

Post by DiggeryDoo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello everyone! Great forum and members here, so I'm finally coming out of lurking and joining in the convos.

Current IL (only my family and their SOs) situation is not much of a problem. But, I've been through the ringer in the past and have plenty of stories to tell. Hopefully, coming here will keep me from ever walking the path of nastiness again.

Years with SO: Five years in the marraige from hell (MFH) & then divorced - old history. 22 years with my partner who passed away a year and a half ago.
Number of children: Two stepsons from the MFH, one stepdaughter with the partner. No bio kids of my own.
Most Hated IL: SIL from MFH.
Worst Gift Received from IL: A ceramic fat lady which was a bacon grease separator (no sh*t!). I received this from my brother's wife.

Looking forward to talking with you all!

theoutlaw
Annoyed

Post by theoutlaw » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Hello everyone! I am a much tortured SIL that has dealt with a crazy woman for long enough to know she's just CRAZY!

Years with Significant Other: 1 year dating, almost 5 years married.
Number of Children: 3 sons. Two from my previous marriage: 17 and 13. My 11 yr old son from his former girlfriend that abandoned both of them when my son was 2.

Most Hated IL: MY SIL!!!! And somewhat her partner in crime, the Evil Aunt!
Worst Gift Received from IL: Yeah, right! Like SIL would gift me anything. Does drama, lies, character assassinations and statements that she's the #1 woman in my DH's life count as gifts? LOL

Anitsirk38
Fuming

Post by Anitsirk38 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:35 am

Years with Significant Other: Married October 2013. But we've been together since July 2011.
Number of Children: 0
Most Hated IL: MIL and her sister.
Worst Gift Received from IL: MIL's sister gave us a big bowl with 4 packets of asian flavored ramen noodles..
Last edited by Anitsirk38 on Tue May 13, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melody
Nuclear

Post by Melody » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Years With Significant Other:11
Number of Children: 4
Most Hated IL: SMIL although annoyed at FIL for enabling her
Worse Gift Received from IL: DVDs on being a good parent

robotgrasshopper
Fuming

Post by robotgrasshopper » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:51 am

Years with Significant Other: Friends for a year, dated for five years, and now we're on our second year of marriage.
Number of Children: None.
Most Hated IL: ...Strangely enough, not the MIL or FIL. Everybody else.
Worst Gift Received from IL: Their false compassion.